Author Topic: Kandahar knappin...(added pics of handle)  (Read 4072 times)

Offline seminolewind

Kandahar knappin...(added pics of handle)
« on: October 09, 2013, 04:10:06 pm »
Well guys I've been out for the last eight days really remote up near Pakistan again and didnt have the space in my ruck to pack some stone and tools so I had to wait  to get back to do some knapping. I have been wanting to make a knife for my kit and carry it on my plate carrier (with the hopes of burrying it in some Talibans throat)...So I sat down this afternoon and bopped out this nova blade, its just shy of seven inches and I got  her pretty thin.

I gotta say all the guys on my team have never seen flintknapping done before and as you can imagine they have the personality types to really appreciate it and want to learn. Its all they have been talking about lately and I must have helped them learn for about 4-5 hours today. Needless to say I saw some good stone turned  into gravel but the satisfaction of passing on the skill to people who are legitimately interested is rewarding to me! Its funny we'll be out on a mission and they will pick up a rock and bring it over "hey man will this work?" usually followed by "nope!"

I have been looking for some kind of carnivore jawbone to make a handle out of but no luck yet  >:( most likely going to have to carve the handle out of eucalyptus or pomegranate wood.

Enjoy yall !
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 12:55:30 pm by seminolewind »
"Those that beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not." Thomas Jefferson

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.

Offline seminolewind

Re: Kandahar knappin...
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 04:12:42 pm »
"Those that beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not." Thomas Jefferson

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.

Offline seminolewind

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 04:16:16 pm »

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.

Stringman

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 04:18:15 pm »
Boy howdy!! Ain't that a pretty piece of novac! Your work on it sorta stands out too! Good luck with the handle, and keep a buddy on ur 6. God bless!

Offline Dalton Knapper

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 04:26:09 pm »
Excellent work. Really nice shape and flaking. I love that black novaculite. It probably came from near Malvern, AR. Keep the faith, keep well and keep knapping.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 06:18:09 pm »
Brother, you got some time on your hands,shows with your knapping. Give me some lessons when you get home. I'm in Huelva,Spain, Kathie mailed you a new box of rocks for me. Take care and be carefull.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 08:51:30 pm »
Sweet blade is that from the box I sent you. From the looks of your thumb it got you.

Offline David_Daugherty

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2013, 11:13:25 pm »
Pm me your address and I will send Ya'll some stuff too.  Nice blade by the way.
"You can't put a price on being inspired"-Zooey Deschanel

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2013, 12:29:33 am »
Again it shows how great this community is. Very nice knife blade. Wish I could help ya on the jaw bone. Thanks for sharing and stay safe
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2013, 05:30:55 am »
Man, cool story and cool blade!
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2013, 12:00:18 pm »
That really is something Elijah.  Super cool story.
1’—>1’

Offline seminolewind

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2013, 02:49:40 am »
Again it shows how great this community is. Very nice knife blade. Wish I could help ya on the jaw bone. Thanks for sharing and stay safe

Yes I have to agree this community is awesome I really haven't met so many good people in one place before...thanks for the support guys! I am almost done with a pomegranate handle for this knife ill post pics later on today.

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.

Offline seminolewind

Re: Kandahar knappin...(added pics of handle)
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2013, 12:57:05 pm »
So I found a Pomegranate tree and cut a dead branch off it. After a couple hours I got it roughed out with my pocketknife and an old file.

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.

Offline seminolewind

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2013, 01:00:02 pm »
I used a drill to notch out the part that receives the blade and to make the hole in the handle...Yup you guessed it that's a bow drill divot in case I ever get in a really tight spot  ;D

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.

Offline seminolewind

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2013, 01:01:44 pm »
Managed to scrounge up some stain and oil...

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.