Author Topic: Oregon Ash longbow with sidenocks 40# @ 28"  (Read 6875 times)

Offline DuBois

Re: Oregon Ash longbow with sidenocks 40# @ 28"
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2013, 12:46:37 am »
Nice, pure and simple  ;)  Really nice bow.
Thanks for the post.
Marco
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 12:50:51 am by DuBois »

Offline Gordon

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2013, 02:03:53 am »
I like it Carson. The tiller looks fine to my eye. I think your guy is going to like this bow.
Gordon

mikekeswick

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2013, 02:59:07 am »

This was also the first time I trapped the back of the bow.  I probably could have been more aggressive in the trapping, but it definitely got rid of some dead weight.
[/quote]

You can make the back half the width of the belly with ash for future reference. It doesn't half make a difference.

Offline Dan K

• 58#@28"
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2013, 03:06:05 am »
Looks like a smooth draw bow with that profile Carson.  I like your style, always that little extra touch making it better than average.  He'll like it for sure.  Did that come from our harvest?
Excellence is a state of mind.  Whether you think you can or can't...you're right!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2013, 06:35:30 am »
Very nice job,sweet looking bow. :)
Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2013, 10:36:46 am »
nice job on that one Carson, nice and simple. any particular reason you trapped the back of the bow? just curious

Offline Weylin

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2013, 11:00:02 am »
Nice clean bow. Shows that simple can still be classy.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2013, 01:30:58 pm »
Thanks Guys.

DanK  No, this one came from the banks of the mighty Willamette.  It was a 3-4" sapling.  Cut this spring. 

Mike, I think I approached that figure with this bow.  I probably could have "dished-out" the back where wood was removed for trapping.  As it is now, it is basically a straight-lined trapezoid in cross-section. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline bushboy

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2013, 07:23:59 pm »
Sweet!love the profile!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2013, 11:50:53 am »
Thanks Guys.

DanK  No, this one came from the banks of the mighty Willamette.  It was a 3-4" sapling.  Cut this spring. 

Mike, I think I approached that figure with this bow.  I probably could have "dished-out" the back where wood was removed for trapping.  As it is now, it is basically a straight-lined trapezoid in cross-section.

I connect with several things about this nice looking bow. I grew up on the banks of the Willamette and used some Oregon ash  for the paddles of a 27' sternwheeler I had on that river three times. Also, I have been a promoter of "trapping" the backs of wooden bows for a decade. Nice to see it catching on with a lot of people.

And then, I am  very pleased when people realize that if the unstrung profile of a bow is not straight or an even curve, then the full draw profile should not be even. Under that condition, if the full draw profile is perfectly even, some wood is doing more work than other areas

Good job for the right reasons.

Jim Davis

PS: That looks like a locust your bow is leaning against?
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2013, 02:01:42 pm »
Jim, thanks for the very nice compliments.  I am glad you could connect with this bow.  Where abouts on the Willamette?
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2013, 03:02:18 pm »
Jim, thanks for the very nice compliments.  I am glad you could connect with this bow.  Where abouts on the Willamette?

About 5 miles south of  Junction City, where I attended school. I was a farm kid and hunted and fished the sloughs and channels of the Willamette. Trapped coons, foxes and beaver--oh, and of course the mighty nutria. If the attachment works, here's photo of the boat that had the ash paddle boards.

Jim
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline Scallorn

« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2013, 04:52:27 pm »
Man! Of all the bows I have looked at this week, this one is probably my favorite. I just love simple bows like this, it has a very "Sudbury Bow" look about it. Very native american looking, and that's the kind of stuff I like to see. I make a lot of simple NA bows myself.

Offline adb

« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2013, 07:15:15 pm »
Very nicely done. Kinda looks like a Meare Heathe bow that's had a haircut!

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2013, 03:16:16 am »
Those side nocks set it off! I'm not brave enough to try them yet...nice stick ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...