Author Topic: End Snap  (Read 1200 times)

Offline neuse

End Snap
« on: October 09, 2013, 08:47:03 pm »
I can not figure out what I am doing to cause so many pieces to break.

I think it is end snap, but I can not figure what causes it, so I do not know how to stop it.

Help Please

Offline Tower

Re: End Snap
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 08:54:49 pm »
Without seeing what your doing . I would venture to say that your not stabilizing the entire  point properly when knapping. That's the quickest way I know to fold them.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 09:19:31 pm »
Sounds like a support problem, but like Tower said with seeing it's hard to tell. I used to break alot due to end snap :( when I would try thinning from the base end. Better support and better accuracy helped alot, that an hittting alot of rock, tonnage helps ;D. Bob

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 05:35:37 am »
Hey Byron think we all need a little tune up. Sounds like end snap support issue. Or maybe platforms not quite below center. Need to sit with ya like Don says.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 11:03:41 am »
Sounds like you are working glass or obsidian.  End snap is part of the game with that stuff.  Try not to thin from the base.  In other words, thin from the sides.  And make sure all platforms are below the centerline of the workpiece.

When a stone snaps in a place where you didn't hit it, it's cased by bending stress.  If it snaps right where you hit it, it's caused by a crack that spreads in the wrong direction.  Either way, it means you are applying too much force.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline neuse

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2013, 07:49:12 am »
Ok thank you. It is breaking in a place other than where I strike it.
 I will limit my end thinning and provide better support.

Offline neuse

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2013, 07:50:51 am »
Cowboy,
I need to schedule a time to come visit you.