Author Topic: Oak recurve finnished!  (Read 5620 times)

Offline BowSlayer

Oak recurve finnished!
« on: October 06, 2013, 04:28:12 pm »
well here it is it's taken just over a week to make but it's finnaly a bow. here are some specs. it is 62" long TTT has a 4" handle with 2" fades. it weighs in at 57#@26" it's overlays are hickory and purple heart. i was going to do a squirrel fur handle wrap but decided not to. in the end i used the parafin wax methord to finnish it up. here are some pics.

thanks for looking

« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 04:54:17 pm by BowSlayer »
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline Josh B

Re: Oak recurve finnished!
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 05:20:06 pm »
Good work young master Walsh!  Good work indeed!  I'm glad that you went with the parrafin finish. It looks good.  I like the arrows as well. Did you make them?  Josh

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 05:26:51 pm »
Good work man, way to stick with it! You finally made something that is worthy of being called a bow!

Jon

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 05:29:31 pm »
Tiller is on, I say go for it on the squirrel grip...
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 05:31:42 pm »
Good work young master Walsh!  Good work indeed!  I'm glad that you went with the parrafin finish. It looks good.  I like the arrows as well. Did you make them?  Josh

i added the fletchings. im working on a few more of theese.
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline Josh B

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2013, 05:45:44 pm »

i added the fletchings. im working on a few more of theese.

Cool!  The nicely done wraps on the fletching was what I was admiring.  Josh

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2013, 05:48:59 pm »
done with black cotton thread. watched a few videos on youtube, i might use acctual feathers next time. if you wan't ill do a close up of one of the arrows.
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline Josh B

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2013, 05:54:26 pm »
Those aren't feathers!? :o. You had me fooled! Not that that is a particularly hard feat to accomplish.  By all means a close up would be appreciated.  Josh

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2013, 06:57:21 pm »
nope there plastic alternitives, kinda like training wheels for when you do it for real. here are the close ups and also a look at the bodkin points.

London, England.

45#@28"

Offline bushboy

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2013, 08:45:13 pm »
Nice job jezz!just be a little careful with your overlays,looks like you filed through the hickory in to the back side of the oak and may be weaken it?overall your making leaps and bound over some earier efforts!you must be a strong little feller to pull a 57# bow with such ease!just saying !lol!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2013, 09:20:59 pm »
Well roll me in poop and call me stinky! :o. Even the close up pic looks like real feathers except for the shine maybe.  I never heard of such a thing as plastic feathers.  I wonder how they hold up over time?  Anyway nice work!  Josh

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2013, 09:23:18 pm »
Nice job jezz!just be a little careful with your overlays,looks like you filed through the hickory in to the back side of the oak and may be weaken it?overall your making leaps and bound over some earier efforts!you must be a strong little feller to pull a 57# bow with such ease!just saying !lol!

Yeah. This bow was 61# before I adjusted the tiller so now this feels fairly easy to pull back.  8)
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2013, 09:29:33 pm »
Well roll me in poop and call me stinky! :o. Even the close up pic looks like real feathers except for the shine maybe.  I never heard of such a thing as plastic feathers.  I wonder how they hold up over time?  Anyway nice work!  Josh

Well, Mr.Stinky :P. I shot thees arrows through my target with this bow and after about 50 shots with each arrow only the cotton wrapping on one came loose but the "feather" stayed put. Fixed it in about 5 mins. 
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline Josh B

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2013, 10:29:41 pm »
 ;D

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2013, 01:45:38 am »
Great work kiddo  ;D