Author Topic: Dealing with the loss of a dog  (Read 4494 times)

Offline sleek

Dealing with the loss of a dog
« on: October 06, 2013, 02:58:37 am »
  After a few days of looking for our dog, we found him. In the back yard curled up in some tall grass. It looks like he has been there for the 5 days we had been looking for him. This is hard for my wife, because he was our first dog together. And she got him while I was deployed to help her keep her mind off missing me so much.
  I am going to take him to my hunting spot to bury him tomorrow. He will be by the lake in an open field surrounded by hills and trees. It is the most beautiful and peaceful place to me, and I will think of him every time I go out there. Damn I miss that dog....
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline chamookman

Re: Dealing with the loss of a dog
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 04:47:55 am »
Sorry to hear of Your loss - it's never easy. Over the years, I've found the best thing is go out and get Ya a Pup and start all over again. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 08:09:41 am »
Sorry for your loss.Sounds like he left you with some good memories.
"Good enough" is the enemy of great
PN501018

Offline TRACY

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 08:46:32 am »
Real bummer! I know the feeling. Focus on the the joy they brought you and it will dull the pain some.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 03:33:30 pm »
Sorry to here it I couldn't imagine what I'd do if my dog passed but I do realize one day I will have to deal with it ..... That's the only negative about having a dog
I like osage

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2013, 04:32:03 pm »
sorry for your loss. he will live on in our memories.
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2013, 07:00:16 pm »
Man, I sure am sorry for your loss.  It's rough, I know.   I lost one years ago and wasted ten years without a dog in my life, mostly because I was afraid to go through the pain of losing another one.  I hope you don't do that to yourself.  I have three now and life is good.  Like was suggested earlier, y'all go ahead and get you another one as soon as you are up to it.   There is a dog somewhere that needs a good home.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Mike Joe

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2013, 12:12:34 am »
I feel for you. I lost my dog a while back.
"Son, we don't really care how it looks, We want it to work." - John McPherson

Offline Parnell

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2013, 10:00:14 am »
I'm always sorry to read these posts.  I've lost several dogs over the years.  We took about a month last time before we found our rescue pups.  Awful month.  One of my favorite sounds in life is to hear the dogs greeting me at the door.

As others are saying, I hope you'll rescue a dog before long and celebrate life.  So hard though.
1’—>1’

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2013, 10:25:48 am »
My condolences.
Several years ago I buried my dog by a huge rock near a stream where I hunt.
I go by there often.

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2013, 01:29:26 pm »
Sorry to hear that Sleek.  It's never easy.  The last dog I lost, I was depressed for weeks.  The best cure is to rescue another one :)

Offline bow101

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2013, 02:18:23 pm »
I hear ya, I lost a favorite dog years ago, she was a little mixture of sorts about 7 pounds, silky black hair. She was the sweetest most courageous character chasing deer down the street, She had no fear.
I could never replace that dog. She was truly uinique, lovable and so well trained.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline sleek

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2013, 08:21:27 pm »
Thanks for the sympathy guys. We burried him yesterday under a tree by the river that feeds the lake at my hunting spot. Very beautiful area. We put his favorite treats on top of him, covered him up, and laid sandstones on top to mark him. My son is handeling it well, my wife is having a hard time, and I just play with the other 3 dogs soon as I get to feeling sad. Maybe we will get a Christmas puppy if I can find one we like.
After burying him though, we all feel a bit better. At least he is now to rest.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2013, 09:31:59 pm »
The not knowing is pretty hard to take, finding him and laying him to rest is a good way to start the healing process. 

It's just two years, four months, and 5 days since I lost my ol' Scully.  One of the worst kicks I have ever taken in my life, and it is still a sore spot that I keep exploring like my tongue probing the socket of a lost tooth.  Someone sent me a private message explaining grief is the measure of how well you loved the now lost.  Give yourself the time and opportunity to do that grieving, it's a way of celebrating just how damn good that dog was for you.  And then when it is time to move on, you will. 

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline sleek

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2013, 10:45:06 pm »
JW.... you ass... I'm at work right now and cant look all feminen in front the guys. After reading that, havin a hard time holden 'em back right now... Thank you buddy....Really.