Author Topic: Just for fun...  (Read 1475 times)

Offline Wooden Spring

Just for fun...
« on: October 04, 2013, 12:58:48 pm »
Anyone ever build a 100 pound pyramid bow just for the heck of it?

I've made about a dozen bows now, anywhere from 30# on up to 70#, and I want to do something stupid... I don't even know if I could pull the thing, but I've got to try it. Not that I want to shoot down airplanes, or hunt extinct reptiles, just to see if I could pull it off...

I've got access to red oak, hickory, and some really tight-grained jatoba.

So, based on a 65# bow that I made for a customer recently out of hickory and jatoba that was 2" at the fades, 1/2" at the nocks, 1/2" thick, and 66" NTN, this is what I was thinking of as a starting point:

1/8" hickory back over jatoba
62" NTN
2 1/2" at the fades (maybe 3"???)
5/8" at the nocks
1/2" thick belly at the fades, tapered to 7/16 at the nocks

Whaddya think? Am I being crazy enough??  >:D
"Everything that moves shall be food for you..." Genesis 9:3

Offline ErictheViking

Re: Just for fun...
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 01:08:46 pm »
do a site search on Druids bows. he has made a few pyramids above 100lb I beleive. they were staves and not laminated however.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

blackhawk

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 01:16:05 pm »
Ditto on druids bows.....do you have anything better than jatoba for the belly? And of course it can be done...just needs the right execution of materials,design,and expertise tiller....that's all ;)

Offline Wooden Spring

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 01:46:17 pm »
Ditto on druids bows.....do you have anything better than jatoba for the belly? And of course it can be done...just needs the right execution of materials,design,and expertise tiller....that's all ;)

Well, I do have access to Ipe, but I'm not a fan of it... What belly wood would you suggest?

Offline TimPotter

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 01:47:31 pm »
I've made a 70"L,  2.3"W elm Holmegaard at 105# that sent a 3 ounce ash warbow arrow just as far as a English style warbow. Still have it.  I also have a 72"L 3"w red-oak pyramid that is 110# that I used to practice with to build up my strength before I successfully made a war-bow.
"The best way to find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them."  Ernest Hemingway

Offline Wooden Spring

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 01:50:37 pm »
I've made a 70"L,  2.3"W elm Holmegaard at 105# that sent a 3 ounce ash warbow arrow just as far as a English style warbow. Still have it.  I also have a 72"L 3"w red-oak pyramid that is 110# that I used to practice with to build up my strength before I successfully made a war-bow.

Really? Wow, I never would have guessed that such a long red oak bow could draw that much...  How wide are the tips?

Offline TimPotter

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2013, 10:11:46 pm »
Tips are just under 1"W. Like I said it was a bow more for a workout that performance.
"The best way to find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them."  Ernest Hemingway