Author Topic: BW limb, Is it worth an effort?  (Read 1712 times)

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
BW limb, Is it worth an effort?
« on: October 04, 2013, 07:47:32 pm »
This limb was cut almost 2 yrs ago and thinking it looked promising I stored it in the garage on a rack with the rest of my staves. I took it down about 6 months ago to trim to bow dimensions and because of a couple issues put it away because I had other projects. I'd still like to save it if possible but don't want to saddle a dead horse. I've got plenty of other bows in progress.
Profile is all natural at this point but 2 knots in the upper working limb are telling me burn it.
Can they be patched? Bow will be 66" NTN, 1 9/16" fades to about 12" from the tips tapering to 1/2"
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 08:06:24 pm by Fred Arnold »
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

blackhawk

Re: BW limb, Is it worth an effort?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 07:53:34 pm »
There's only one way to find out....  ;) ...n I'd go some version of a bendy handle bow

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 08:00:48 pm »
I'd say worth an effort if ya don't want to try it send it to me lol  8)
I like osage

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 08:02:29 pm »
My other black walnut bow slightly bends in the handle and is a great performer.

Is sawdust and superglue going to fix this or would your advice be a patch on the belly? The back is clean as the knots came in from the side.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2013, 08:49:17 am »
Fred if Im seeing it right that crack is 12" from the tip? Thats where the bending starts to slow down. Im not a fan of saw dust with my glue for crack jobs, it cant flow in. Id suggest plain ol' Loctite super glue, let it flow down into it. It will probably require a few applications to fill it up.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2013, 11:13:58 am »
give it a go. what's the worst that could happen?
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2013, 12:52:21 pm »
When I had gaps in my knife handles superglue and saw dust was my best friend. I put the super glue in and then pack the dust on top till it fills it then put more glue, once dry I put more glue dust then glue till it bulges over the rest of the wood and sand down smooth. Doesn't look bad and seems to work. I had to do it on my osage bow I made. Seems fine
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2013, 06:17:44 pm »
PD, with my limited experience I'm more concerned with the smaller of the 2 which is 7" from the tip but runs almost up to the back with not much wood above. Would a sinew wrap after the superglue do any good before tillering? The 2nd knot is 14" from the tip but there is a lot more solid wood around and above.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2013, 10:25:16 am »
  It's not going anywhere nor eating anything.
  Just put it back up untill you run out of projects.
 But personally I'd trast it.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Josh B

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2013, 06:03:44 pm »
I'd warm the wood up a bit and soak it with superglue.  You already have some time invested in it so you just well see what you can get out of it.  If it works out, it'll be a beauty.  If not, what's a few more hrs.  Just my .02. Josh