Author Topic: old find  (Read 2764 times)

Offline Badly Bent

old find
« on: September 15, 2013, 10:30:45 pm »
Thought this was interesting. Visited a friend this weekend who has a large and varied collection of things found on the family farm in central Illinois over the years. This one found by his dad in 1936 who found one half on one area of the farm and the other half over 1/4 mile away in another area of the farm in a field on the other side of the timber.
Both pieces together are not much bigger than a thumb nail yet he found them both and was able to match them up.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: old find
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 10:39:04 pm »
That's amazing! Who knows the story of that point.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 10:51:12 pm »
Yeah Cowboy just looking at it conjured up all kinda ideas about how the two halves ended up where they did in separate places. Can really get ya dreaming.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 10:53:12 pm »
Very cool! I envision it was shot into a deer breaking on impact with a bone and top portion  and then the base was discarded upon recovery of the deer. Just a thought ;D

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Hardawaypoints

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 12:55:44 am »
Very cool find.

I have a few points where I found both halves too.  It helps to save those pieces in jars from the same area.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Offline bowmo

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013, 01:08:08 am »
Same thought as Tracy. Cool indeed.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2013, 01:45:17 am »

Cool!  My thought is that the person who made it, was just putting the finishing touches on it, and it broke!  Hence the two pieces, being picked up, and blessed with the knappers secret lithic words, >:(#$#@!!!!#@$!!! and the broken point dance, complete with foot stomping, and kicking any object near, be it inanimate, or animate, and then the two halves being tossed in different directions, as far as could be thrown, complete with the proper send off of secret lithic words.  !@$#%$##@!!!**&%!!  >:(.  Yep, I can envision that scenario! ;) ;D  In fact I think I can pretty much replicate the words, not in that person's native tongue, but the meanings are the same, and the dance!  Not the point, but the words, and dance, I can do a pretty good approximation, due to much intense study and practice. ::) :P

Wayne

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2013, 08:20:09 pm »

Cool!  My thought is that the person who made it, was just putting the finishing touches on it, and it broke!  Hence the two pieces, being picked up, and blessed with the knappers secret lithic words, >:(#$#@!!!!#@$!!! and the broken point dance, complete with foot stomping, and kicking any object near, be it inanimate, or animate, and then the two halves being tossed in different directions, as far as could be thrown, complete with the proper send off of secret lithic words.  !@$#%$##@!!!**&%!!  >:(.  Yep, I can envision that scenario! ;) ;D  In fact I think I can pretty much replicate the words, not in that person's native tongue, but the meanings are the same, and the dance!  Not the point, but the words, and dance, I can do a pretty good approximation, due to much intense study and practice. ::) :P

Wayne

Bwahahahahaha!. If that's the case ,I should be the obect of all kinds of future man's ponderings!

Offline David_Daugherty

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2013, 11:22:57 pm »
Very cool find.  Really makes you investigate various ideas on how the point fragments were so far apart. I really like stickbenders verson.  Its very intertaining.  But my first thought was along the same line as Tracy.  Very cool find indeed  :)
"You can't put a price on being inspired"-Zooey Deschanel