Author Topic: Knot in Osage  (Read 6949 times)

Offline adb

Re: Knot in Osage
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2013, 01:03:37 am »
Plenty for a bendy handle osage, or recurve.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2013, 01:10:20 am »
Plenty for a bendy handle osage, or recurve.

What about a stiff handled 60 inch recurve should handle my short 26 inch draw right ? Or since the bow is 66 inchs I was thinking of just cutting it to 63 inchs long so the knot is atleast moved slightly further away from the fade
I like osage

Offline Hamish

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2013, 01:14:41 am »
Firstly get rid of the idea of having a deeply cut centre shot, arrow pass, a really bad idea with that stave. Its going to need heat correction anyway because of that staves natural tip alignment, so you will be able to tweak the string alignment so it shoots like a centreshot bow.
As for the knot, I would follow the interior curve of the knot from the handle, up through the fades, to the widening of the limb. Remove most of the knot at this stage. Don't touch any wood yet on the other side off the fade at the handle area. See how far the knot goes in on the belly side. This will give you an idea of how much wood you need to keep for a strong fade. As you haven't removed any wood on the clear side of the fade yet, you can easily incrementally take more off until there is no excess. Once again it does mean no deeply cut arrow shelf on this stave.

Follow the flow of the grain even in the handle, and you can steam bend the handle with no worries about cracking the handle, and get the tips to line up with the arrow pass.

Good luck.
               Hamish.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2013, 01:28:33 am »
I shouldn't have to steam the handle one limb is straight the other bent to the side so I'm gonna steam the bent limb and try and straighten it and line the tips and handle up as best I can
I like osage

mikekeswick

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2013, 03:50:40 am »
Firstly get rid of the idea of having a deeply cut centre shot, arrow pass, a really bad idea with that stave. Its going to need heat correction anyway because of that staves natural tip alignment, so you will be able to tweak the string alignment so it shoots like a centreshot bow.
As for the knot, I would follow the interior curve of the knot from the handle, up through the fades, to the widening of the limb. Remove most of the knot at this stage. Don't touch any wood yet on the other side off the fade at the handle area. See how far the knot goes in on the belly side. This will give you an idea of how much wood you need to keep for a strong fade. As you haven't removed any wood on the clear side of the fade yet, you can easily incrementally take more off until there is no excess. Once again it does mean no deeply cut arrow shelf on this stave.

Follow the flow of the grain even in the handle, and you can steam bend the handle with no worries about cracking the handle, and get the tips to line up with the arrow pass.

Good luck.
               Hamish.

+1
Good luck with the boomerbow  ;) ;)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2013, 06:32:53 am »
How long is that stave ?
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

blackhawk

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2013, 07:29:27 am »
Do you have enough length to move your handle layout to where the knot would be in the handle instead of the fade?  I would center it in the handle if it were mine and had the length to do it.

I was gonna do that but then the bow would only be 60 inchs long

So make one limb 2-3" longer and make the bow asymmetrical... that would give you enough length to make a stiff handled bow to most folks "real" draw length, heck even 28" if ya know what your doing..I've done this plenty of times on layouts due to knots,character spots,etc to give me more length in my bow....its a great tool in the bowyers bag....so many people are adamantly symmetrical builders they'd never even go there,and its a shame they're that way...n tillering an asymmetrical bow is easier than one thinks...plus now your fulcrum is true to center and not above it like a symetrical bows is...plus better balance in the hand...but each has its pros and cons,but don't be like some folks and never try it cus they "think" its wrong,when in fact its not...I do both ways depending on what the stave is telling me and what I can do with it....

Another idea is to move your layout line over to the side and it looks like it would leave out that knot altogether....I know it would be cool to incorporate that into your bow,but if it just won't layout right in your bow,then erase it from the equation when/if you can...

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2013, 10:11:54 pm »
Is the bow at sideway brace? Lol that's a boomerang.

Not quite a boomerang stave now is it lol amazing what steam can do actually straightened it without clamps to Still got a tad more straightening to do but much better now

I like osage

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2013, 01:05:34 am »
 8)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline 4dog

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2013, 03:29:42 am »
hollow that puppy out a bit and stick a glass eye in it..lol..joking. >:D
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2013, 03:33:51 am »
hollow that puppy out a bit and stick a glass eye in it..lol..joking. >:D

Lol perfect Idea  O:)
I like osage