Author Topic: How long before I can pull 100lbs?  (Read 4684 times)

Offline TheDukesArchers

How long before I can pull 100lbs?
« on: November 04, 2013, 01:53:46 pm »
If someone was to start using warbows from scratch, how long should it normally take that individual to build up the strength and techqniue required to be able to pull a 100 pounder at 32?

Offline toomanyknots

Re: How long before I can pull 100lbs?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 02:27:17 pm »
Probably not as long as you think, but not over night by any means either. It will just happen eventually, just shoot what you can shoot right now, and when you are strong enough to move up a bit in weight, than move up and bit in weight, and repeat.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline WillS

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 02:35:23 pm »
100lbs is pretty light for a warbow, it's sort of "baby warbow" territory, when you consider that most of the warbow guys (of all ages and experience) are using 140 - 160lb bows at the moment, with a few pushing 170 and 180 now.  Getting yourself into a 100lb bow should be relatively straight forward, as it's almost do-able using a normal target style draw.  It's only when you get above about 120 in my opinion that the true warbow style needs to be adopted. 

Still, everybody is different and everybody takes to certain things in certain ways.  Some people just can't hit a 32" draw without lots of coaching and training.  Don't rush yourself, it's an accident waiting to happen.  But don't be too hesitant either (contradictory advice, I know!) as it's pretty achievable with a bit of effort.

Offline TheDukesArchers

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 02:40:03 pm »
It's my first warbow actually. I recently took delivery off it and it pulls 88lbs at 28, so over 100lbs at 32 I'd imagine?? The bowyer I bought it of has a mixed reputation on here, though it was only £189 and seems pretty decent to my eye. The basic laminate bows I've found are upwards of £480, but being a student means they are currently out of my price bracket.

Offline WillS

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 02:50:21 pm »
Oh I wasn't knocking it, at all.  Just saying you should find yourself comfortable with it very quickly!  Never a bad thing. 

You know you're on a website dedicated to making bows right?  :P  Don't bother buying them.  Have a crack at doing it yourself!  It's massively cheaper.

Offline TheDukesArchers

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 02:57:40 pm »
Over the Christmas break I might try and knock together a laminate bow. I've been fletching my arrows for a good few years.  :)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 05:12:32 pm »
100lbs is pretty light for a warbow, it's sort of "baby warbow" territory...  Getting yourself into a 100lb bow should be relatively straight forward, as it's almost do-able using a normal target style draw.
The following is just my opinion.
The statement :-
Getting yourself into a 100lb bow should be relatively straight forward, as it's almost do-able using a normal target style draw.
Is IMO down right dangerous and a contradiction in terms, as a 'normal target style draw' won't get you much past 28"

I've recently just managed 100# and correct technique is a huge help.
I have a relatively good natural strength and fitness but I am approaching 62 years old.
There is no way a normal person will pull 100# to 32" using a conventional target draw, they are likely to just hurt themself.
If you can draw say 70#and are reasonably fit then I'd suggest a month of training and practice with the right technique you will manage to get 100# to your full draw. If you have the right bow.
I had the misfortune to try a horrid bow with pinched knots up the belly which has no early weight and then stacks like hitting a brick wall and kicks your left elbow like a mule (not made by me). By contrast my Elm warbow is relatively well tempered, although I can still ony shoot half a dozen.
I also had the benefit of some guidance from someone who draws 100# without breaking sweat.
I'd suggest a bow drawing say 80#- 90# at 32" would be good for honing technique. It's important to know you can draw the bow so that you can then examine what you are actually doing and observe the effect of various different factors.
As I said ... just my opinion.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 05:17:18 pm »
It's my first warbow actually. I recently took delivery off it and it pulls 88lbs at 28, so over 100lbs at 32 I'd imagine?? The bowyer I bought it of has a mixed reputation on here, though it was only £189 and seems pretty decent to my eye. The basic laminate bows I've found are upwards of £480, but being a student means they are currently out of my price bracket.
That should be about 104# at 32"
28" minus 6" brace = 22"
88# divided by 22 = 4#per inch
32" draw minus 62 brace = 26"
26"x4# = 104#  ;D
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline WillS

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2013, 05:24:12 pm »
That's why I said almost.  I was gonna make it italic just to push the emphasis but forgot.

There are lots of people who can draw 100@32 with a standard target style, but of course an exaggerated warbow style makes it easier. I did say "get into a bow" meaning draw it like a warbow.  Crossed wires!

Offline Archeress

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2013, 03:49:55 am »
That's why I said almost.  I was gonna make it italic just to push the emphasis but forgot.

There are lots of people who can draw 100@32 with a standard target style, but of course an exaggerated warbow style makes it easier. I did say "get into a bow" meaning draw it like a warbow.  Crossed wires!

hmmm...absolutely on warbow style Wills. ..i was just out in the yard training..strung up my 85 pound elm..a straight up victorian technique?...yeah ok.  a semi warbow style..?..easier by far.  Then  i got my 110 (now 107) greenheart and boo out..straight target action is a struggle and i agree can make you injury prone unless you have been doing this for years.  anything over a 100 is much more pleasurable to draw back with a warbow style anyway.  and anything over 100 is worthy of a decent clout also.  then i got out my 127 yew..and to be honest my progress is minimal in the last month.  get there though.
Archeress is a long way from home

Offline WillS

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2013, 04:32:19 am »
Yeah I should definitely have made it clearer that I wasn't suggesting to draw a 100lb bow Victorian style!  I totally agree with Del's sentiment that it's dangerous to try it, unless you've been doing it for a long time.

With a good warbow style and form, 100lbs should definitely be achievable with comfort without requiring too much raw brute strength. If it's a struggle at 100lbs, there's a damn good chance the drawing style needs work, rather than strength itself needing a boost.

There are also some freaks out there who can draw 32" "target style" just pulling back without pushing the bow away at the same time, which is essentially the whole purpose of the extended warbow technique - leaning onto the bow with the bow arm, rather than drawing the string back.

Offline adb

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2013, 07:15:34 pm »
I truly think a lot of it is just plain old God-given ability. I witnessed much of this during the past summer. Lots of guys much physically stronger than me can NOT pull even a 70# warbow to full draw. Other guys, who have never pulled a warbow in their life, could pull full draw on a 100# bow in a very short time.