Author Topic: Fleshing a Hide Abo :)  (Read 2234 times)

Offline PrimitiveTim

Fleshing a Hide Abo :)
« on: October 13, 2013, 02:02:36 am »
A hunter gave me a deer hide the other day and I tried fleshing a hide for the first time.  I found that a good sharp piece of flint worked pretty well.  I used palm branch stakes to stake it out to the ground.  This is my first time processing a hide so I salted it and hopefully next week I can tan the hide.  I'm wanting to make some moccasins for this Winter :D

Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
Re: Fleshing a Hide Abo :)
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 10:44:19 am »
Lots of ways to do this and I've tried many of them.  I don't salt the hide, I either freeze it green for later, or lash it up and go to work.  I typically use the shin bone off a cow as a fleshing tool.  File it down and add little teeth.  Be sure and get the membrane off the flesh side along with the meat or it will be stiff where you miss it.  Somewhat the same with the hair side and the epidermis.  Get it all and it will tan better.  Assuming you are brain tanning.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 10:49:31 am »
aight, cool.  Thanks for the advice.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, 07:29:46 pm »
lookin good. Hope you scraped off all that meat, fat and membrane and made a fine paleo soup with it. ;)   cook it on down with some green brier tips, plantain shoots and  heart of palm and You's have you a "Primitive Tim" dinner you'd remember your whole life   ;D
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2013, 10:14:34 pm »
lookin good. Hope you scraped off all that meat, fat and membrane and made a fine paleo soup with it. ;)   cook it on down with some green brier tips, plantain shoots and  heart of palm and You's have you a "Primitive Tim" dinner you'd remember your whole life   ;D

Haha, it had been sitting in a cooler for a few days so I wasn't feeling real keen on eating the scrapings.  There was a good bit if meat left on the hide though.  I left it for the scavengers though.  I'll have to make soup next time though!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 07:19:22 am »
Hard enough for me with a dull draw knife draped over a fleshing beam,  :) Good luck with it,I also never use salt,it dries it out and makes the membrane much harder to get it all off,if you don't get it all off it won't soften up.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good