Author Topic: old osage bow (more pics)  (Read 6416 times)

Offline Buckeye Guy

Re: old osage bow (more pics)
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2013, 10:30:04 am »
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 10:43:02 am by Buckeye Guy »
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline dbb

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2013, 12:10:38 pm »
Good reading,thanks Buckeye.

Im itching to shoot this bow just once,but i guess its not worth the risk
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline PatM

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2013, 01:37:26 pm »
The style is classic early Pearson before glass. The article on "Old Hic" refers to this exact style, only in hickory. It was pretty common for early wooden bows to be offered in a variety of wood types with the lower end models in Hickory or lemonwood and higher end in Yew or Osage.

blackhawk

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2013, 01:50:12 pm »
I would love to go back in time and see folks mass producing self bows/all wood bows and such...how would you like to be the guy who chased rings all day,day in n day out...lol..id like to shake that guys hand...I bet some of those guys would put some of us(me included) to shame...unless they invented a ring chasing machine? If they did I want one ;)  :laugh:

Offline PatM

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2013, 02:39:00 pm »
Grumley was known as the man when it came to doing all that work to a high degree of skill. Those guys did have access to the best quality material so they weren't wrestling with character staves and thin rings.
 They did quickly switch to a more mass production technique as demands rose and that meant using woods like lemonwood or Hickory which take the board bow style very well or backing Osage and Yew with Hickory, Silk or Fortisan to speed up the process and eliminate the need for ring chasing.
 The Old Hic bow showed clear evidence of being made mostly by bandsaw.

blackhawk

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2013, 03:47:17 pm »
Exactly Pat..(I know that)....and it ain't much different than what we do today except on a much much larger organized n professional scale...its still all wood and they still need to be handled the same...we will never see all wood bows being made at such a magnitude as that ever again....hence why it would be sweet to go back and see it....and it s prob the reason why we are left with fighting character staves cus they cut and used all the good wood...lol  :laugh:

Offline bow101

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2013, 08:33:16 pm »
Very cool, great find.  When I have the time and coin I will travel the country looking for unique finds like that.  Those tips are rank..
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell