Author Topic: Govment Shutdown just cancelled my hunt  (Read 3906 times)

Offline Gsulfridge

Govment Shutdown just cancelled my hunt
« on: October 01, 2013, 03:59:36 pm »
I know this is a non political forum.  My rant is non political in nature, but the government is pissing me off!  Due to the shutdown, my hunt that has been planned for months has now been cancelled.  The area we were going to hunt is owned by USDA and ran by the US Forestry Department.  Thousands of acres of prime public hunting and camping is now off limits.  Their websites and phones are all blaring messages about blah, blah, .  .  . government shutdown, blah, blah, blah.  What the heck! I just want to hunt and get away from the rat race for a week and enjoy some peace and quiet admiring God's creations and possibly making meat with a self bow.  And now they have taken that away.  What I would give to own private hunting property!!  OK, I assumed the rant would make me feel better, well, think again.  The more I think about it, the madder I get.  Dammit.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 04:24:51 pm by Gsulfridge »
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Govment Shutdown just cancelled my hunt
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 04:14:39 pm »
That does stink Greg, sorry you lost out on your hunt, at least for now anyway. Being a non news watching/reading guy, I had no clue about this "shut down" until an hour ago. A co-worker enlightened me.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Dalton Knapper

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 04:23:37 pm »
A lot of people overlook the importance of our Federal lands. Without them, hunting would be a pleasure for the wealthy and land invested, as it is now in most of Europe.

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 04:35:19 pm »
no enforcement then right?
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 04:41:48 pm »
I hadnt thought about it that way.  Hmm .  .  . >:D

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 05:01:52 pm »

I'm glad I wasn't the only one thinking that, No tag, no technicality, no license no limit.    ::) Good luck getting back into your hunting grounds. Ed 
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 05:36:50 pm »
Heck I say Poop on the Gooberment!
I don't care about Political Persuasion.

Being as I was Raised by Pirates, I will not allow their BS interfere with my life any more than absolutely necessary.

Not to say that I don't abide by Fair Hunting Practices and Bag and Length Limits.
I follow them because I choose to, not because I have to.

The bottom line is that I will not stop hunting on PUBLIC Lands due to a Gooberment Idiocy.
Will they Not Collect Taxes from me for the days they are closed?

They can Kiss my Grits.
I'm going Hunting.

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline Dalton Knapper

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 05:52:54 pm »
"With the federal government locked in self-afflicted paralysis as of midnight, all 561 national wildlife refuges and 368 national parks are now closed to the public. However, nearly all of the country’s 155 national forests and 2,400 U.S. Army Corps of Engineers recreation areas, as well as vast sprawls of lands managed by the BLM and other federal agencies, remain accessible and available for hunting and fishing."

Source:http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/open-country/2013/10/government-shutdown-restricts-hunting-national-wildlife-refuges-other-fed

I reckon if there is no gate and you don't expect any services, you are free to hunt and fish away. I would suspect that their law enforcement personnel are considered necessary, so poachers beware.

Offline wildman

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2013, 10:38:13 pm »
Reminds me of a quote from the movie Legends of The Falls. I would go!
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline TRACY

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2013, 10:47:27 pm »
I hadnt thought about it that way.  Hmm .  .  . >:D

Same situation here in So. Indiana Greg with the Hoosier National. Archery opened up today and not sure what will be happening on Federal lands. My first thought was who is going to tell me it's closed? I'm planning on camping and hunting over there all next week while school is on fall break. May have to go to plan B.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2013, 07:26:39 am »
Greg I would do like we did a few years back at LBL when they closed it for snow.
We went anyway,they caught us a few days into the hunt,seen what we were hunting with and said what the heck,don't call us if you get stuck or stranded. We carried on our hunting and told them we wouldn't have called them anyway,we know how to take care of ourselves.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2013, 07:55:18 am »
I'm leaning that way Pappy. It's just that it's a 5.5 hour drive from here and we have friends from Kentucky going as well. I'm gonna contact TWRA today and see what they say.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2013, 08:56:42 am »
You bet Go for it Gsulfridge.Pretty good chance of you getting some hunting in.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

blackhawk

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2013, 09:21:27 am »
As a former anarchists I have a lot to say,but I'll keep my mouth shut...  >:(  :-X ....that just sucks and is retarded

Offline Ozzy

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2013, 09:27:19 am »
The way I see it its are land not the governments I say go for it >:D
THE BEST SUNRISES ARE SEEN 20 FEET UP A TREE.