Author Topic: old osage bow (more pics)  (Read 6419 times)

Offline dbb

old osage bow (more pics)
« on: October 01, 2013, 03:25:55 pm »
I just got hold of an old osage bow marked Ben Pearson. around 70" if you measure the static recuves,no handle or shelf,but remains of it and a arrowpass
Its spilced in the handle with a very narrow deep handle overlay.
I strung it at very low stringheight just to flex it a little...ouch..very heavy.I shoot a 70# longbow with no problems but this is head and shoulders above that.
So anyhow..Do anyone know anything about this maker or bowtype?
Here are a few pics

« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 06:09:29 pm by dbb »
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: old osage bow
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 03:44:37 pm »
I would hold unto that bow like a new born baby. How did you get it, if you don't mind me asking? You do know who Ben Pearson is, right?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 03:52:03 pm »
very cool.

Offline dbb

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 04:24:44 pm »
I would hold unto that bow like a new born baby. How did you get it, if you don't mind me asking? You do know who Ben Pearson is, right?
I found in swedens version of craigslist,a guy that had too many bows and i fell for this one.
And yes i know who Ben Pearson is/was,but i guess i dont really know how important he was...its like what do you know about the Swedish King?  ;D

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 04:39:46 pm »
I hear you dbb! I know nothing about the Swedish King, or even if Sweden has a King!

Ben Pearson was a huge pioneer of archery in the early 1900's up until his death in the 70's. I cant confirm this, its just a suspicion of mine, but I would almost bet that was a "basement bow" he made because he loved bowyery. I would question whether he mass produced these bows. His fortune was made in fiberglass bows and arrow kits for a less than rich folks. If it where my bow? Id leave it alone and proudly display it until I knew more about it. That could very well be a somewhat personal bow of his.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline dbb

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 05:28:21 pm »
I have been searching a bit and found some targetbows from the 40ies that looks pretty much like this one and have the same almost carved tips/nocks.
On my bow there is also what looks like a decal like those watertransfer ones from modelplanes when i was a kid with the name Ben Pearson in black and a gold Arrow through it under the laquer
Some moore pics

Offline IdahoMatt

Re: old osage bow (more pics)
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 06:18:01 pm »
Man that's a cool old bow.  I love to see the lines.  Something so classy, like an old car. 

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 08:36:39 pm »
I would go broke trying to get that from you. very kool to even see online let alone own. killer find
John, 40-65# @ 28" Central New York state. Never enough bows, never enough arrows!

Offline Ghost308

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2013, 10:52:00 pm »
You should take that bow and show it off on The Leatherwall they can probably tell you a lot more about Ben Pearson bows.

mikekeswick

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 10:19:55 am »
Heck of a bow.  :)
No wonder it's heavy....it's osage and it's almost a half inch thick at the end of the limbs.....
I'd love to have a good look at this bow.

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2013, 01:14:24 pm »
I have seen some early Pearson production bows similar to that but never that ornate. I wonder if it might have been a prototype or show model of some sort? What ever it is I think you have a real piece of archery history right there!

Offline JonW

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2013, 07:15:11 pm »
That's a super find! Are those numbers about a half inch below the nocks?

Offline Hamish

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2013, 10:25:34 pm »
Being osage, it probably is still shootable, after some careful retraining, incrementally, slowly increasing the bend.  But it is too nice a piece of history to risk damage.

blackhawk

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2013, 07:51:09 am »
Awesome....I love the nock style and string grooved belly side of the curve of that era ....I'm gonna have to do one like that in the near future

Offline TimPotter

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2013, 10:09:05 am »
Super cool. That bow is a classic!!!!
"The best way to find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them."  Ernest Hemingway