Author Topic: Has this Hapend to you?  (Read 8494 times)

Offline DanaM

Re: Has this Hapend to you?
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2007, 01:44:50 pm »
I had an incident with a tiller stick, I made it free standing like a coat rack, I was pulling the bow out on it when a limb broke
got clonked on the head and the other end swung and whacked me also. Now I have a tree, another thing I do on a regular basis is sand my fingertips on my belt sander ::)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Dane

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2007, 01:50:46 pm »
The ol' double whammy, Dana. No fun.

I build my tree when a little voice inside was saying "build me now." I trust my instincts. And making the tree was easier than making the tillering stick with all those notches.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

a finnish native

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2007, 02:46:41 pm »
man.. I have always looken by the bow when tillering, having my head right next to or on top of the bow. I think I will stop now. Here is a link to a finnish forum where the topic is almost the same. in the pic where there are 2 pieces in the sealing, a guy was tillering a bow and boom! 2 about 8 inch pieces stuck to the wooden sealing. :o

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2007, 04:12:50 pm »
I use a tree, but it's not foolproof, either if something breaks or slips. The first one I made, I didn't use long enough woodscrews to put it together with. I had a bow pulled to about 26" when the faceplate pulled off the tillering tree, the bow shot across the shop and bounced off the ceiling and wall. At least with a tree, you're standing further away. I was lucky that the bow didn't come flying in my direction. I never realized until then just how much energy is stored in a drawn bow. I clamp my bow to the tree when I'm tillering now.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2007, 04:21:59 pm »
That is a funny story Hillbilly.  I had a bow break on the tree and half of the bow ended up sticking in the ceiling.  I'm glad I was standing 8' away. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Dane

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2007, 06:33:55 pm »
This thread is seriously good to read though. No one needs to feel dumb about a breaking or slipping bow, and a tree and some caution is always good insurance. One bow slipped off my tree, and I went the other way. Now I brace myself before pulling on the rope. And eye protection is not a bad idea either.

Anyone care to share a photo of how they clamp the bow to the tree? I think that is a great idea.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts