Author Topic: Shaving horse  (Read 2515 times)

Offline lostarrow

Shaving horse
« on: October 01, 2013, 09:29:39 am »
Well I've been wanting to build one for a while (going to start using more staves) , and I should have a long time ago. Hindsight is 20/20. These things are a dream to use. They realy grip well and speed the process. I think it was Bubby that posted his a couple weeks back, and I am just getting around to posting a few pics now. Maybe if enough people show their horses we could get a sticky?.?. There is a lot of options in these things and it might be a good resource for anyone thinking of making one themeselves. There is a bunch of stuff on the internet about them but not all are practical for bow making.

Here it is. The legs fit in to takedown saw horse brackets, and the head and foot are fastened with wedged tenons. The ramp is on a hinge and the support fits through a tenon in the bench with a pin and a series of holes to adjust. I have to remake the head . I was in a rush and working from a couple of different sources for info. I  ended up making the head too narrow . Stupid thing is , ...........I cut it down to that width ??? :o >:( ;D. The whole thing cost about $30 and took about 3 hrs to make. 

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Shaving horse
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 04:20:07 pm »
that's a fine looking horse!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Dalton Knapper

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 04:45:57 pm »
Your horse looks great and well crafted. I made mine some 28 or so years ago when I got into antique woodworking. It was made from pine logs and there are no nails in it - all wood hewed from tree trunks split, pegged and shaped with antique hand tools. It serves me well and you are right - anyone who has never had a proper vise does not know how much work and time they have to expend as opposed to having the right tool. This one is based on a Roy Underhill design.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 05:55:47 pm by Dalton Knapper »

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 05:17:56 pm »
Good looking Shave Horses.

I'm thinking I need to build a Shaving Horse.
Of some sort.

I'm not happy with my Stave Press, the Plate keeps falling off if I don't use another piece of wood to chalk up the stave in the Box.
And I'm also not happy with the Vice on my work bench, my bench is too light and I keep shaking everything off the pegs and shelves.

I have been standing my staves on end, leaned up against my bench or a 2x6 stand to debark and
such. Using my bench vice to chase a ring, more shaking...
Not very efficient... Not to mention its bloody maddening Shaking everything off my bench.   ???

Still looking for the right design for me.
Also considering a StaveMaster.

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 05:22:55 pm »
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 09:44:44 pm »
That's the one I was thinking of. I was pretty sure it was you ,Bubby!  How's it working out for you?

Offline bubby

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 10:26:04 pm »
It's working out good, I may add some extensions on the foot bar just to make it a little heretofore wise
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline TRACY

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 07:13:39 am »
Looks real nice lostarrow! I need to build another  for my son or when someone comes over to work on bows. I want to try a knock down style to be more portable.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956