Author Topic: Another wych elm nearly there.  (Read 5084 times)

Offline dwardo

Another wych elm nearly there.
« on: September 30, 2013, 09:40:20 am »
This is a Wych elm made from the compression side of a sapling. I didnt have high hopes due to the deflex but the other half made a nice bow. Have been suffering from archers elbow recently so its been slow work. It has given me other time to get some leather work out of the way, will have to pop up some photos soon.

Really is surprising this wych elm as you dont need a lot of it to make a bow.

This is about 63 ish long and the deflex is most natural. Had to even up one limb with the other. It would have done with more reflex in the tips maybe but it just refuses to take it. Heat treated twice and not sure if I may have another pass before calling it finished,,?? dont know yet. Some little horn overlays and also not sure if I will stain it yet.

Only taken about an inch of set so far and is pulling near 60lbs at 26. Might also drop the weight seeing as my elbow is complaining. Either way its starting to behave more now.

Offline BowSlayer

Re: Another wych elm nearly there.
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 09:46:18 am »
the top limb is bending more than the other one, are you going for a possitive tiller? can't wait to see it finnished
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline half eye

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 09:50:11 am »
Dwardo, I love elm, and that bend is outstanding, sir!!!! 60 @ 26 is a bit much for the old man anymore, though ::)
rich

Offline dwardo

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 09:54:15 am »
the top limb is bending more than the other one, are you going for a possitive tiller? can't wait to see it finnished

Thats right mate the top does bend a little more. I tillered it more evenly on the board and it just did not shoot right. Then tillered it as I shot it in and it ended up with this profile, much sweeter to shoot and no handshock.

Offline dwardo

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 09:55:28 am »
Dwardo, I love elm, and that bend is outstanding, sir!!!! 60 @ 26 is a bit much for the old man anymore, though ::)
rich

Me too if I am honest. As me granddad always used to say "put yer muscles away lad"

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 11:59:47 am »
Great looking bow.  Staring to love the white woods.  Just started a couple of Mt. Maple bows.  It is a nice change in workability from locust witch I have been working lately.

Matt

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 12:58:56 pm »
Nice tiller lines on your bow there dwardo.How much does it weigh mass weight wise as in the picture?
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline dwardo

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2013, 01:13:31 pm »
Nice tiller lines on your bow there dwardo.How much does it weigh mass weight wise as in the picture?

Weighing in at 18.7 oz at the minute. Will lose a tiny bit more with final sanding and thinning the tips a little more.

Offline nathan elliot

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2013, 02:45:43 pm »
Another sweet looking bow mate. I seem to be miles away from bow making these days, good to see you making them - makes me want to ditch the whisky cups and grab a stave :o

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2013, 03:59:46 pm »
Sounds good...Nothing like a good piece of elm.I did a winged elm pulling 53#@29.5" a while back that only weighed 17.45 ounces before snake skins and finish.Now it's 18.25 with the string.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline dwardo

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2013, 06:02:11 pm »
Sounds good...Nothing like a good piece of elm.I did a winged elm pulling 53#@29.5" a while back that only weighed 17.45 ounces before snake skins and finish.Now it's 18.25 with the string.

Elm seems the most dense of the white woods we have near bye. Not tried hornbeam and some fruit woods but its a new staple. Just had a look in the bible to check and its around that kind of weight, maybe a bit light so it may complain some more yet. I am considering silk backing it as I was less kind to the back in storage that I could have been.

Offline dwardo

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2013, 06:05:29 pm »
Another sweet looking bow mate. I seem to be miles away from bow making these days, good to see you making them - makes me want to ditch the whisky cups and grab a stave :o

Thanks mate should turn out ok. Those cups of yours are stunners mind ;)
Been a bit since I had a chance to play. Sometimes life gets in the way, hopefully in a good way. :)

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2013, 09:29:05 pm »
Excellent bow.  Tiller looks great.  I feel your pain with the bowyer's elbow.  Mine goes from one arm to  the other and I never seem to be totally pain free, part of it I guess.  That elm bow looks like a sweet shooter to me.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2013, 11:57:47 pm »
Real smooth bend in that bow Dwardo, you sure can get them bending nice.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline JonW

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2013, 02:45:39 am »
I sure like the curves that bow has. I am fond of all the Elms I have worked as well.