Author Topic: quarter sawn/edge grain  (Read 1188 times)

Offline lewstewns

quarter sawn/edge grain
« on: October 01, 2013, 09:11:25 am »
hi folks.i have a piece of air-dried quarter sawn ash 48" x  6" x 11/8".The grain looks straight but obviously 90 degrees to the normal direction. my question is-is it possible to use this cut for a composite core? cheers. lew

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: quarter sawn/edge grain
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 10:26:37 am »
That's a perfect grain for backed bows in my opinion.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline lewstewns

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 11:24:16 am »
thanks PD. i have only ever made board self bows before but i,m dying to try a sinew/horn composite.the wood supplier took a few weeks before getting back to me after i told him what i wanted and when it arrived i wasnt expecting edge grain .thanks.lew

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 09:31:07 pm »
I know this doesn't answer your question. but every time I hear quarter sawn....I think of a gentleman on here who goes by the name "half-eye" that makes absolutely beautiful self bows from quarter sawn boards.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

mikekeswick

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 02:50:11 am »
A horn sinew composite should not be made with a 1/4 sawn core.
Wood is less laterally stable when 1/4 sawn as opposed to flat sawn - this WILL make a difference in the finished bow.
A kiln dried board will be hard to bend to the shape you want.
Green maple is what you want. Stay away from any ring porous wood. Diffuse porous wood is necceasary due to it's uniformity.
Trust me on this one  ;)
Have you bought Adam Karpowzi's book yet? I strongly strongly recommend this excellent book. Once you've got this it's likely if you follow it to have sucess first attempt.....without it....well good luck!