Author Topic: My flip tip is flipping me off (finished and broke, more pictures)  (Read 5638 times)

Offline Mad Max

Re: My flip tip is flipping me off (finished and broke, more pictures)
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2013, 11:47:34 am »
Moved to top
I would rather fail trying to do something above my means, Than to succeed at something beneath my means.

Offline Mad Max

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2013, 12:01:13 pm »
can I fix this ( a heavy sinew wrap) or should i cut my losses.
I would rather fail trying to do something above my means, Than to succeed at something beneath my means.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2013, 12:17:14 pm »
Looks like and ender to me.  Sorry for that!
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2013, 01:28:35 pm »
If those cracks would'nt of came to the edge of your bow I'd say it would of made it.If I know myself I'm doing everything right in design and tiller those kind of bows I write off to just a sorry piece of wood.I can't say much more than that without looking at it in my hands.Looks like you followed the grain good from the pictures.Most times hedge is a real forgiving type wood.Maybe it was too dry.Don't feel alone we've had it happen to all of us.Guess it's time to live by your motto and move to another piece of wood.It was a very nice unique snaky looking bow.No reason a different one won't make a bow for ya.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Mad Max

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2013, 06:38:12 pm »
thanks beadman

Offline dwardo

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2013, 06:48:09 pm »
I have a lovely yew stave roughed out to a similar shape. Every time I floor tillered I could hear a little pop.
Same cracks as your self that run out to the edge  :( I put it back in the corner of shame/soon to be kindling.

Offline Mad Max

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2013, 07:29:40 pm »
I have a lovely yew stave roughed out to a similar shape. Every time I floor tillered I could hear a little pop.
Same cracks as your self that run out to the edge  :( I put it back in the corner of shame/soon to be kindling.
Yea-----------  It was such a nice bow , i got about 50 shots out of it.
Now i need another OSAGE STAVE ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

mikekeswick

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2013, 03:25:06 am »
That one is toast and I can see some spots where you haven't followed the grain.
I doubt very much wether it was too dry. Bow wood that is too dry tends to just explode when bent not open up cracks like this.
Learn some lessons and move on!

Offline Mad Max

« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2013, 10:53:58 am »
That one is toast and I can see some spots where you haven't followed the grain.
I doubt very much wether it was too dry. Bow wood that is too dry tends to just explode when bent not open up cracks like this.
Learn some lessons and move on!
I did follow the grain >:D :) this bow has many crack's in it