Author Topic: Leatherworking questions  (Read 3381 times)

JacksonCash

Leatherworking questions
« on: October 11, 2013, 09:48:20 am »
I've got some leather that I'm going to attempt to make a quiver from. Its a nice vegetable tanned shoulder, plenty big for what I need with a little bit of material left for testing things. This is good because I'm brand new at leather working. Anyway, onto the meat of it!

I've got some pieces that the pattern says needs to be glued together. What is a good glue to use for this? I've got some duco cement, and gorilla glue, but I'm not sure if either of those would work well.

I also need to dye the leather. Well, maybe not need but it would look a lot better. I've gotten the dye, and talked a bit with the sales folk at Tandy about how to dye, but I was wondering about the flesh side- do I dye that as well?

Offline dwardo

Re: Leatherworking questions
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 10:31:46 am »
I tend to use 5 minute epoxy for glueing welts when needed.
Dye wise I use Fiebings Leather Dye. Just remember to wear gloves, trust me doesn't come off for days.  ::)

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 12:11:58 pm »
Just remember to wear gloves, trust me doesn't come off for days.  ::)

Listen to this - - he tells the truth -  and dont ask how we know this . . . .

JacksonCash

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 12:35:53 pm »
Don't worry, the wife has already forbade me from getting it on me or anything else. "Dire consequences" were mentioned.

Offline GlennM

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 01:52:29 pm »
I use contact cement.  Leather may be taken apart if it needs to be repositioned.

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2013, 02:40:56 pm »
I use contact cement.  Leather may be taken apart if it needs to be repositioned.

x2
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2013, 03:28:28 pm »
If the part you are gluing has to flex at all, I'd stay away from the epoxy and use contact cement, or even white glue works fine.  If you are worried about it coming apart you can add a few stitches.

As for dying the flesh side, it's just personal preference.  You can go either way.  But you should know that a lot of dyes will bleed into clothing if they get wet, sometimes even if you use a sealing finish such as Tandy's Super Sheen, or Feibings Resolene.  I have yet to find a finish that I am 100% confident in for sealing in the color.

JacksonCash

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2013, 04:05:31 pm »
I'll definitely be adding stitching to any glued pieces.

That's good to know about the bleeding. Thank you for the tip.

Offline seabass

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2013, 10:57:40 pm »
listen to cameroo,he knows his leather.rubber cement works great,like said before it comes apart for repositioning.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline okiecountryboy

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2013, 08:53:52 am »
Use rubber cement to stick pieces in place, awl or punch sewing holes in place. Simple and easy....Little more primitive...Hide glue.
Rubber cement will hold and not stiffen.
I do a lot of leather work and works best for me.
Once again...the more primitive IS the hide glue. Your choice. the contact/rubber cement sets much more quickly. IMHO...

Thanks for readin

Ron
God, honor, country, bows, and guns.

Offline kevinnator11

• Just a new guy learning all of the tips and tricks
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2013, 05:18:31 pm »
I use rubber cement and then stitch it.  However, I just use a few dabs here and there.  If you use much it can squeeze out and that's aggravating when you are slicking the edges.  I use just enought to hold the pieces together.

As for staining I agree it's personal preference.  I've used clear oil on projects that will get a lot of wear and tear outdoors without a stain.  It'll darken the leather somewhat but seems pretty durable.  Some say that will affect the stitches but I haven't had any problems there.
Kevin