Author Topic: Making ammo  (Read 2457 times)

Offline papoints

Re: Making ammo
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2013, 10:15:50 am »
I love to see em hafted.  Gotta be a good feeling when you have one on your bow.  I have to get on that....  They look deadly.

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2013, 05:20:36 pm »
Nice points.
 Cooking rock is a whole different ball game.
 Some cook some don't. some take lots of heat and some very little.

Like caveman said thin them down 1st, try and get pieces no thicker then 2-3 inches.  You need to dry the rock before you crank up the heat.
I used to let my rock dry for 24 hours at 250 degrees and then ramp it up 200 degrees every 4-6 hours until i reach max cooking temp for the type of rock i was cooking. Then let it soak for 24 hours and then i just turn it off and let it cool for 24 hours. 

Look on line i know there is a chart that tell how much heat to cook different types of rock.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline iowabow

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2013, 10:33:03 pm »
G those look great friend!
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2013, 11:45:55 pm »
Thanks guys.  I lost the symmetry on that one, but at that point I didn't care  Should kill just as well.

Thanks for the tips on rock cooking.  I would have spalled that stone out if I could have, but nothing I have would break them up.   Certainly I need to learn some better technique.  I only heated the rock at 250 for 8 hours, I didn't realize it needed more time than that.  Some of the stuff that turned out to be georgetown was inside cobbles I hadn't tried spalling.  That was a mistake as that stuff works pretty good raw and I overcooked it and ruined it.  Other stuff came out wonderful, and some of it is still too hard to spall.  I'll keep after it...but after deer season is over. ;)

George
St Paul, TX