Author Topic: Tom on Mountain Men  (Read 20537 times)

Offline bow101

Tom on Mountain Men
« on: September 25, 2013, 09:53:14 pm »
Tom built an Osage primitve bow on Mountain Men last nite.  He put sinew on the belly and snake skin on the back.  Is this ok....? :laugh:
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Tom on Mountain Men
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 10:04:10 pm »
Tom built an Osage primitve bow on Mountain Men last nite.  He put sinew on the belly and snake skin on the back.  Is this ok....? :laugh:

I have to wonder if this is because Tom don't know, or is it a case of the reality producers not getting their facts right?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 10:11:13 pm »
Lmao! He put sinew on the belly ???
I like osage

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 10:23:32 pm »
Was he shooting it the next day?  ::)   Its "reality" TV
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 10:25:56 pm »
It was in last seasons episode and I'm quite sure he put it on the back. He build the whole thing in one day supposedly. And shot it a few times the next before giving it to the guy for his son or something.
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 12:40:38 am »
Yes Sir,

Was wondering if this would be noticed in the PA Community...

It was a two day build.
Sinew backed and skinned.
Finished and Shooting in two days.
Ready to be given as a Birthday Gift on the third day.

:)

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline rockrush69

• i want to live in a tipi and hunt for my food
    • facebook.com/flingahbows
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 12:51:40 am »
Sinew has zero compresion strength .. but is high in tension strength . It does no good on the bellly . Waste of time and sinew . It belongs on the back of the bow to move the nutral zo e in the center up to the back thus making the bow almost unbreakable . It can be "crushed" but its very hard to "snap" so ... it may "work" but it did absolutly no good
JESSE "HALF CHEROKEE" RUSH
The rabbit lost his tail cause the fox tricked him and told him to stick it thru the ice to catch fish he became stuck and the bear snatched him out by his ears leaving his bushy tail behind and streching his long ears... Cherokee story "how the rabbit lost his tail" :)

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 02:09:22 am »
That one limb had a pretty sweet hinge in the middle of it too.  He should have taken a few more breaks during the build, like his wife told him  ::)

mikekeswick

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2013, 03:32:51 am »
Don't believe ANYTHING that has been edited.
I could relate a few TV 'strories'.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2013, 04:35:19 am »
No one is perfect. He must have just learned. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline WillS

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2013, 08:04:52 am »
I just watched it.  He didn't put sinew on the belly, he reverse-strung the bow and sinewed the back, before applying the snake skin over the sinew.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2013, 09:10:44 am »
  I see WILLS I've never seen anyone sinew the belly.
  You can bet he was'nt shooting the bow the next day when he sinewed it.
  You should wait a week. I wait a couple or longer to let it totally dry and for the glue to season really well. Hide glue drys SLOWWWWWWWWWWWWWW.
  You've already went through a lot of waiting a couple weeks more would'nt matter.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2013, 10:49:27 am »
A closer look at the bow he was shooing the next day revealed that the osage had already tuned dark so it wasn't the same bow he was working on the day before. The so called "finished bow" did have a monster hinge in one limb, perhaps I should send him a tillering gizmo to use on future bows.

The producers cater the series to city folk that don't know a bow from a broom stick,  they can fill the story line with all kinds of BS that almost no one picks up on except us folk that actually know a thing or two about what is depicted.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 10:52:28 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline Marks

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2013, 11:16:05 am »
I'm sure they don't feel like spending the time to build a quality bow just for a quick segment in a low budget TV show. Just throw something out there that will sling out an arrow once or twice.
Like cooking shows, they mix the ingredients, set it aside, and then pull the finished product out of the oven. They don't have time to wait on sinew to dry. I don't blame em. They weren't filming for PA. They probly did that whole thing in the same day. Its a TV show.

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2013, 12:06:49 pm »
I think that it "had to be done in 2 days" just because the producers for these "reality" shows always seem to think that it's necessary to have some impossible deadline to meet, in order to add suspense.  For some reason they fail to see that a show like that could be interesting just following those men in their day to day lives, without all the scripted BS added.  I had high hopes when I saw the previews for the first season, but I find it hard to watch without laughing these days.