Author Topic: Questions regarding handle risers...  (Read 6371 times)

Offline Christian Soldier

Questions regarding handle risers...
« on: September 24, 2013, 01:05:04 pm »
Hey guys, I'd like to make a similar replica (exact would bust most self bows, or at least take a lot of set AFAIK), to the recurves in Catching Fire. For anyone who's not a die hard fan, here's what it looks like. http://hungergamesarchery.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/o-JENNIFER-LAWRENCE-HUNGER-GAMES-570-1.jpg

Not too unusual a design for a FG bow but its not really traditional when it comes to self bows, but I'd like to try none the less.

Here's my plan. 61" hackberry stave. 2 and 1/4" wide most of the length of the limbs. 35-40lbs at 26". 11.5" sass handle riser (longer than most self bow handles, shorter than some FG). This leaves me with about 50" of recurved working limb. Will it work?

Also back to the riser.
1 Does it need to be as well seasoned as the stave?
2 If so, can I season it in the oven?
3 Have FG type handle risers been done on self bows before, if so any pics or links?
4 Do you glue the riser on early or shape it some first then glue it on.
5 Will TBII work for gluing? (assuming the stave isn't bendy handle, obviously most risers would pop off then)
6 Can I steam deflex the stave, shape the riser to fit, then glue it to the riser to take some of the stress of the limbs?
7 If so would #6 be beneficial to have a R/D or should I just go with simple recurves?

Thanks you very much for any help! You guys are a great resource!
2nd Timothy 2:3 "Endure hardship with us like a good soldier of Christ Jesus."

Offline adb

Re: Questions regarding handle risers...
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 01:21:33 pm »
I'd make a bow like that one piece.

blackhawk

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 01:24:08 pm »
Dude ya got me scratching my head  ??? Are you talking about a 3 piece bolt takedown self bow? Or trying to glue limbs on a riser/handle shaped like that?  ??? The later will break?    ???  And I'd choose osage for my limbs...prob sinew or wood backed to handle fg like designs

Cody(missile master ) built a sweet three piece bolt system take down osage self bow..don't have a link but its around here somewhere...lol. I know he used the bolt system that binghams projects sells for fg bows and it worked great for him...

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 01:24:20 pm »
i believe misslemaster has a three peice take down that has a similar profile, if you know any of codys bows then you know its amazing.

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 01:30:03 pm »

Offline 4dog

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 01:43:18 pm »
Sheesh !!! That misslemaster is some artist,,what is he 12?  Wait till hes 40 then he might be good at bow building ,, how did i miss this bow before???
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 01:45:39 pm »
Sheesh !!! That misslemaster is some artist,,what is he 12?  Wait till hes 40 then he might be good at bow building ,, how did i miss this bow before???

Not to many 12 year olds out there with goatees ya know
I like osage

Offline bubby

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013, 02:02:43 pm »
I built this one using tee nuts sandwitched in the riser to bolt the limbs to cost is next to nothing http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,24354.msg327043.html#msg327043
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2013, 02:20:12 pm »
is this going to be in the next hunger games film? i read the book and can't wait for the film.
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2013, 02:24:09 pm »
I built this one using tee nuts sandwitched in the riser to bolt the limbs to cost is next to nothing http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,24354.msg327043.html#msg327043

damn pauly, didnt know you were that good lol :P

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2013, 02:39:36 pm »
Man Bub.  I never saw that one!  Pretty kick @$$ :)

Offline bubby

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2013, 02:42:35 pm »

damn pauly, didnt know you were that good lol :P

yeah jordo some times I amaze myself ::) :laugh:
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline 4dog

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2013, 02:47:31 pm »
Awwww jeez, really!????  Cmon at 47 im starting to build the bent stick, but you fellas set the bar too fricken high!! Who am i kidding im addicted already, just finished two and now workin two more, , and as far as cody's beard,, some dudes grow em at 12 so thats no indication of age,,, lol
"SET" is always there !!!

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2013, 02:52:41 pm »
I was planning on making it a one piece. Just gluing on the extra piece of wood to the handle so I could make a shallower grip angle and a cut in shelf.

BH, do you mean a 3 piece bow held together with glue would break (I agree), or the extra bit of handle glued to the main stave would break?

That bow will be featured in the new movie Catching Fire which comes out November 22nd. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keT5CRhhy84

I wasn't really considering a TD but now looking at the profile I think it might probably be more appropriate. I'll look into both options. Answers to the original questions are still relevant either way.

Bubby, any more info on that TD would be great. Did you put any kind of internal threading inside the riser for the T bolts?

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2013, 02:58:52 pm »
Bubby, never mind. I see you used T Nuts not T bolts, though I suppose you could have used both.

What size of each did you use (T nuts and bolts)?
How thick should the limbs be before you attach them to the riser?
Did you finish the riser early in the bow making process or after tillering?
Thanks for tolerating all my questions!