Author Topic: Rawhide backing  (Read 6953 times)

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
Rawhide backing
« on: September 24, 2013, 11:12:59 am »
I recently read a post on here covering the use of rawhide backing and tips on how to apply it. I've searched recent posts in bows, the build along. and around the campfire sections and still can't find it. When I do a search I keep getting results from 2005-2008. Does anyone have a clue how to find a good related post?
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline dbb

Re: Rawhide backing
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 11:18:54 am »
Try to do a google search with as many keywords you remember.
Usually works better than the forum search engine
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 11:29:58 am »
Here is my method Fred, take it for what its worth:

1. Wipe a nice coat of TBIII on the back and let it dry over night.

2. Take a sanding block to the rawhide until its thickness is to my liking, there is no rirght or wrong thickness.

3. Toss both strips in luke warm water for about 10-15 minutes. Pull one out and sandwich it lightly between towels to get most of the loose water off.

4. Wipe another coat of TBIII on the bow and lay the rawhide down.

5. Clamp the handle end of the strip so I can rub and smooth it off as I work towards the tips.

6. Once I get it smooth off I just keep "Petting" it for 10-15 minutes until the glues starts to grab.

7. Let it sit for 2-4 days depending on humidity.

8. Take a straight blade along each edge to get most of the glue and hide gone.

9. Finish the clean up with sanding block.

10. PRESTO!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline 4dog

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 11:37:06 am »
I KNEW IT!!! Pearlie "pets" his bows!!! Pearlie "pets his bows!!   :o   you scoundrel you!
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 11:39:38 am »
"Whatever it takes", that's my motto!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 11:42:23 am »
I traded for a full deer rawhide and cut the desired 2 strips needed for an osage bow. It was fairly clean but needed some attention so I soaked and sanded the belly side with 80 grit wet/dry. Then I soaked again in room temperature water and dawn overnight to remove any excess oils and sanded again with a green scothbrite pad and then room temperature clean water rinse. It cleaned up nicely and is now drying between the legs  :D of an old pair of denim jeans.
I'm getting ready to remove the tru-oil on the back of the bow and then use acetone to wipe it down.
Would you recommend  TB III the best glue to use for this application?

You guys are hillarious ::) ::)

I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

blackhawk

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 11:46:35 am »
I KNEW IT!!! Pearlie "pets" his bows!!! Pearlie "pets his bows!!   :o   you scoundrel you!

So what....I stroke my wood everyday  >:D ...and dang proud of it  ;D

Looks like your covered Fred...and yes I find tb to be the easiest glue to use and works just fine

Offline 4dog

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013, 11:52:02 am »
TMI Blackhawk TMI!  ???

blackhawk

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2013, 11:56:39 am »
TMI Blackhawk TMI!  ???

What ya mean?..I'm not following? If my limbs are cold n dampish I like to rub them vigorously to create some friction heat to warm em up  O:)

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2013, 11:58:43 am »
this one's headed south real quick

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2013, 12:10:30 pm »
Better archive this one quick.

Offline 4dog

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2013, 12:44:15 pm »
Your just a man with his bow,, all alone ,, in the woods,,the cold , dark woods,, ::)  lol Your a mess man.

Don Case

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2013, 02:25:38 pm »
Try to do a google search with as many keywords you remember.
Usually works better than the forum search engine

Like he says, put in all the keywords, and then add "primitivearcher.com". Without the quotes. Google then searches this site way better than the stock search engine(which sucks)

Offline adb

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2013, 02:35:00 pm »
Your just a man with his bow,, all alone ,, in the woods,,the cold , dark woods,, ::)  lol Your a mess man.

;D ;D ;D ;D Stop it... you're killin' me!! Stomach hurts!! Bah ha ha ha!

Offline adb

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2013, 02:40:05 pm »
OK... seriously. I do like Pearlie, except I don't put down a sizing layer of glue. I use TB3, soak the rawhide in luke warm water 'til it's pliable (half hour) , rough sand the bow's back, coat both with glue, lay it down, smooth it out from grip to tip, "petting" vigorously.  ::) I use wax paper over this after it sets for a bit, and then lay a strip of leather over that and GENTLY wrap the whole mess with innertubes  or an ace bandage. Leave overnight, unwrap, trim edges, sand sides... good to go. In my book, for rawhide, thinner is better.