Author Topic: Has this Hapend to you?  (Read 8787 times)

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
Has this Hapend to you?
« on: December 05, 2007, 03:16:41 am »
So last week i had a new bow on the tillering Bord checking the tiller for the 1st time.. and i was trying my best to get the string to the next slot and *SNAP!* The string broke sending the bow flying into my face!!
 I ended up getin 5 stitches in my bottom lip and my gums were bruised for 3 days :-[
  SO if you have done this please let me know because i feel like a big dumb dumb, and if your just getting started Don't hold your face over the bow when its on your tillering Bord :-\
                                Leapingbare...
Mililani Hawaii

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
Re: Has this Hapend to you?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 03:52:55 am »
It's a first for me.  That doesn't mean you're dumb.  In fact it takes a certain talent to be the first to mess up.  Dumb is when you've seen it happen before and still do it ;D
A quote I saw attributed to Will Rogers went something like " A genius will think about something and avoid mistakes the first time.  A smart man learns from other's mistakes.  Most of us just have to piss on the electric fence ourselves."    Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007, 06:51:01 am »
I have had them break and go flying and also had them flip on the tiller stick but
so far no injuries.Hope you heal up quick.I am always pretty careful when working
on a new bow while tillering and also while stringing.I have had them pop off the nock
and almost hit me in the eye so now I always turn my head and try and keep it out of
the way. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2007, 08:34:48 am »
Calling Jawge........... ;D  ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Eric Garza

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2007, 09:35:05 am »
I designed a tillering board that lies on the ground and has a fork in the end to hold the bow's handle securely and slightly recurved notches so the string can't slip out.  I sit behind the bow's belly to pull the string back rather than pushing it down from in front of the bow.  If you're worried about the bow breaking and limbs flying back towards you, you might want to put a heavy pillow or folded-up blanket on top of them when pulling the bow back so there's something to lessen their movement if a limb breaks.  You can take the pillow or blanket off when taking measurements or studying tiller, once you're confident there's no risk of breakage.

I also radically "over-build" my tillering string, and serve the ends and the spot where the string will rest across the notches on my tillering board so that the string doesn't fray and break.  All good insurance policies again accidents, I figure...

-Eric

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2007, 10:47:48 am »
Calling Jawge........... ;D  ;D
That is exactly what I was thinking.  Tell them George.  ;D ;D ;D Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2007, 11:41:50 am »
LOL, Hillbilly. Glad you are ok, leaping. I had  a tillering board break. The bow conked me on the head. Must have knocked  a tiny bit of sense in me because now I use a rope and pulley. Check my site. Jawge
http://mysite.verizon.net/georgeandjoni/archer.html
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline adb

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2007, 11:59:25 am »
Hey, leapingbare

Where did the string break? At the nock end? What sort of tillering string are you using?
I use an 18 strand fastflight endless loop tillering string, with padded ends and middle serving. Overkill? Maybe, but it's NOT going to break!!
Get yourself a pully system on your tiller tree, so you can step back away from danger if something lets go. I also clamp my nonbending handle bows on the tree, so they don't come flying off.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2007, 01:10:15 pm »
I like clothesline rope for a tillering string. Not gonna break.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2007, 01:53:37 pm »
Man i Got Lazy and just used a string off a finished bow..
Mililani Hawaii

Offline stiknstring

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2007, 03:09:05 pm »
That is why I use a tillering tree rather than a stick.  I have had strings let go but I was safely outta the way when it happened.  I thank Jawge for that advice

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2007, 06:48:54 pm »
Strings aren't the only thing that breaks.  Bow splinters can be more dangerous.  That is why George has been telling all of us for years to get a tree and get out of the way.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2007, 07:29:38 pm »
I've had a pine bow explode, there were pieces falling for a few minutes. I was going for a very lightweight tillering practice bow.
    Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2007, 08:10:55 am »
Ah,yes pain is an excellent teacher. Hasnt happend to me,I use parachute cord for tillering. However I do have  super glue handy,seem to get cut on occasion,like after putting a edge on a draw knife.Gotta respect this stuff at all times!  Auggie.
laugh. its good for ya

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2007, 01:31:53 pm »
Yeah my tree encapsolates the handle area and has pulleys so I can opull it from 6-10ft back and get a good view of the tiller as well as be out of the line of fire. I read early on of the tiller stick dangers and I figured I would over build it because I'm the kind of guy that if something is sticking out for me to bang my head on, trust me the ole noggin will find it. Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God