Author Topic: Character Hawthorn  (Read 6868 times)

blackhawk

Re: Character Hawthorn
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2013, 01:04:42 pm »
Take that mess to the beltsander and take that block you glued on the back down to less than an 1/8"(preferably 1/16") at the center and taper it to literally a knife edge at the ends....then wrap it at the edges...and keep your bend away from the handle and fades when you tiller it...that way your crack is still covered up and patched and that mess won't come flying off leaving a mess of brown in your pants...and if  you need to build the handle up use leather or cork n super glue on the BELLY side....

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2013, 02:48:11 pm »
IM SO LOST HERE!!!!!!!

Offline 4dog

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2013, 02:51:51 pm »
Bowman  LOOK at the pics closely..lol it says it all.
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2013, 02:53:16 pm »
Bowman  LOOK at the pics closely..lol it says it all.

i see what you see.

Offline bow101

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2013, 04:05:10 pm »
Take that mess to the beltsander and take that block you glued on the back down to less than an 1/8"(preferably 1/16") at the center and taper it to literally a knife edge at the ends....then wrap it at the edges...and keep your bend away from the handle and fades when you tiller it...that way your crack is still covered up and patched and that mess won't come flying off leaving a mess of brown in your pants...and if  you need to build the handle up use leather or cork n super glue on the BELLY side....

Thanks Black, nice to hear some constructive critique any way, rather some body on the other end that plays the Internet ghost attitude......
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2013, 04:07:46 pm »
i dont mean any disrespect, but i am seriously confused as to why that block is there.

Offline bow101

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2013, 04:24:00 pm »
i dont mean any disrespect, but i am seriously confused as to why that block is there.

Go back to the previous page where I quoted Pearl Drums, that explains it.

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2013, 05:08:19 pm »
I don't think anyone is playing "internet ghost", you said yourself that it is glued on the belly.

belly.............ya satisfied........

You could also grind off the block as blackhawk suggested and try a takedown with a sleeve, or if you have enough length cut out the damaged area and splice back together for a one piece.
45# at 27"

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2013, 05:12:05 pm »
I don't think anyone is playing "internet ghost", you said yourself that it is glued on the belly.

belly.............ya satisfied........

You could also grind off the block as blackhawk suggested and try a takedown with a sleeve, or if you have enough length cut out the damaged area and splice back together for a one piece.

+1

Offline wood_bandit99

• Shoot straight my friends!!
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2013, 05:21:53 pm »
Hey let's leave him alone. Let him build one and if it works, it works. I think that bow would look COOL with a takedown sleeve tho...... :o ;D ;D
Yew and osage, BEST. WOODS. EVER! Shoot straight my friends!!!

Offline echatham

« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2013, 06:13:03 pm »
bow101, I ask only because i don't know who is who around here yet, but how many bows have you built?

Offline 4dog

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2013, 06:55:22 pm »
Bow101, my wife tells me i have no tact,(she says i jave no couth eitherbut thats another thread), now ya know she is correct,, i really wasnt trying to be a jerk but was actually curious , i have said as much that i have built 2 bows,, and am now building 3and4,, i actually thought you knew something i didnt,, that was it buddy ,, thats all,, reread my first post with that thought in mind youll see.
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline bow101

« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2013, 07:11:53 pm »
I take no offence.  Have built over 12 bows in the last 20 months.  I don;t consider myself a Woodworker just a hack like most of us, although I've been doing woodwork for about 8 years.   I come on this site to gain knowledge and tips from the experienced guys like adb, BlackHawk, Pearldrums, Gordon, Pappy and the rest of the guys that build outstanding bows.  I could never learn otherwise as I know nobody in real time that does the bowyer thing..!   ;)

Offline echatham

« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2013, 08:11:00 pm »
hey im right there with ya.  I try to stay on the receiving end of advice as i don't consider myself qualified to advise, although i have learned a hell of alot from these guys.  in this case though i have to offer some advise.... and that is simply.... listen to these guys, and run do not walk to the nearest power tool and remove that block of wood from the back of the bow!  ;) ;D

Offline wood_bandit99

• Shoot straight my friends!!
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2013, 10:00:48 pm »
hey im right there with ya.  I try to stay on the receiving end of advice as i don't consider myself qualified to advise, although i have learned a hell of alot from these guys.  in this case though i have to offer some advise.... and that is simply.... listen to these guys, and run do not walk to the nearest power tool and remove that block of wood from the back of the bow!  ;) ;D

I don't know where your from but I would keep quiet about using power tools or someone's gonna chew your but out :D :D  >:D >:D
Yew and osage, BEST. WOODS. EVER! Shoot straight my friends!!!