Author Topic: Character Hawthorn  (Read 6867 times)

Offline bow101

Character Hawthorn
« on: September 24, 2013, 12:56:39 am »
Character Hawthorn stave 68". I steamed the natural reflex out of it somewhat about 4 inches, but still has a bit. As you can see from the photo is has a twist to the side, but my concern is when I rouged it out with the draw knife I could not tell which way it was twisting, so I have to align the tips the other way about 30 degrees.
Have the sister stave to this piece which is quite a bit straighter but a few knots.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
Re: Character Hawthorn
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 12:58:45 am »
that's looking cool, hope it works out!
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline bow101

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 01:08:29 am »
Yes i hope it does to. Its basically floor tillered, bending anyway to about 12-14 inches. Longway to go yet.. :o  :)

Offline 4dog

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 02:34:32 am »
Im not a pro, expert, or even a bowyer , two bows does not a bowyer make, but i have to ask , is the handle block on the belly or the back of the bow, it looks to me like it is on the bark side , man i could be wrong and mostly likely am , but hellfire if it dont look like that..am i wrong, on drugs,, or both,, lol.?
"SET" is always there !!!

mikekeswick

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 03:40:05 am »
Im not a pro, expert, or even a bowyer , two bows does not a bowyer make, but i have to ask , is the handle block on the belly or the back of the bow, it looks to me like it is on the bark side , man i could be wrong and mostly likely am , but hellfire if it dont look like that..am i wrong, on drugs,, or both,, lol.?

Haha!
Looks like it to me too.
If it is and there is a hint of bend it will pop off.

Offline adb

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 09:51:59 am »
What's that square lumpy thing you glued on the back of your stave?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 10:48:50 am »
You may be able to get that block back off. But hard to say what the back may look like when your done. Good thing you have her sister waiting in the wings. Its hard to add handle pieces to shallow staves. Generally speaking you don't have enough meat to get a good fade created. That usually results in handle popping. I prefer to make stave bows into what the stave lets me. If its shallow, its a working handle. If its deep, the possibilities are endless.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bow101

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013, 12:39:01 pm »
You may be able to get that block back off. But hard to say what the back may look like when your done. Good thing you have her sister waiting in the wings. Its hard to add handle pieces to shallow staves. Generally speaking you don't have enough meat to get a good fade created. That usually results in handle popping. I prefer to make stave bows into what the stave lets me. If its shallow, its a working handle. If its deep, the possibilities are endless.

The piece started out as only 4" round.  Probably took off to much material, still have quite a bit of material to take off on the mid limb section before i even attempt to start using a short string. It devoloped a couple small cracks after steaming it in the center section so I had no choice but to glue on a handle section.

I is no pro either.....!!! >:D lol...........lol...........lol......

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2013, 12:39:56 pm »
But its on the back?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline 4dog

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2013, 12:41:04 pm »
But im still askin ,, is the handle block glued to the back or belly?? Lol

Offline bow101

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2013, 12:42:59 pm »
belly.............ya satisfied........

Offline 4dog

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2013, 12:45:16 pm »
Are ya sure????  >:D

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2013, 12:49:20 pm »
The brown stuff next to the handle looks like cambium layer.  What is it?  I thought you were trying to do a reversed handle grip.  ;D :D :o :laugh:

OneBow

Offline bow101

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2013, 12:50:43 pm »
If it breaks, it breaks, it should be the other way but it just so happened it turned out that way.  ;D  No biggy.

Offline 4dog

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2013, 12:54:41 pm »
Ok was wondering thats all.... :o  go for it man !!