Author Topic: All wood horse bow?  (Read 5528 times)

Offline ionicmuffin

All wood horse bow?
« on: September 20, 2013, 11:53:27 pm »
My school has a bunch of horses and i would like to make bows for them to use on horseback. I dont need to make super fancy stuff but i would be thinking about a recurve or syah bow tips and the bow being like 40-50 inches? what woods would you all recommend? should i use two(i.e. bamboo ipe ect?) just trying to get a sense of what im looking at for summers and material gathering. I have looked around for info and didnt find any easily available so i am guessing that you all have some good advice. Thanks for your help in advance
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline adb

Re: All wood horse bow?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 11:56:31 pm »
The Japanese used yumis on horseback and they're like 7' long. Granted the bottom limb is much shorter, but you don't have to go really short to shoot a bow off a horse. If I was gonna do something like that, I'd make some 60" recurves.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 11:57:29 pm »
Why not just simple bendy-handle bows?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 11:59:31 pm »
If it's me, I'm making little short plains indian bows.  Simple.  Osage if I got it, anything else if I don't.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline adb

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 12:00:22 am »
Why not just simple bendy-handle bows?

Good call.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 12:08:18 am »
Simple, short, bendy handled bows are the archer's answer for a woman's "little black dress".  Every archer should have one, they go everywhere, are simple, elegant, and classy.  If done well, they always turn heads and draw attention!

Offline adb

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2013, 12:12:18 am »
 ;D ;D ;D Little black dress... that's funny! But true...

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2013, 01:07:07 am »
i could do short flatbows, ill do that and then if i can get a nice form and tack down heat bending then ill probably start making recurves
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline rockrush69

• i want to live in a tipi and hunt for my food
    • facebook.com/flingahbows
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2013, 01:09:52 am »
I know its a sin ... but i made a really nice pvc horse bow that was very short and shot reLlly well . Backyardbowyer onyutube shows how to do it.  But again ..... its not ....... but ! If useing them in school just to get passed around ... maybe you dont wanna spend to much time and mo ey on them . You could pump out like 30 in a few days . Paint em up to look nice ect.

Just a thought
JESSE "HALF CHEROKEE" RUSH
The rabbit lost his tail cause the fox tricked him and told him to stick it thru the ice to catch fish he became stuck and the bear snatched him out by his ears leaving his bushy tail behind and streching his long ears... Cherokee story "how the rabbit lost his tail" :)

Offline Jodocus

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2013, 08:44:48 am »
Simple, short, bendy handled bows are the archer's answer for a woman's "little black dress".  Every archer should have one, they go everywhere, are simple, elegant, and classy.  If done well, they always turn heads and draw attention!

I fully agree  ;D
Don't shoot!

Offline PatM

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2013, 09:47:40 am »
Keep in mind the inevitable lawsuits as soon as one breaks and whacks someone on the head. Sometimes you have to think hard before doing a good deed in the world we live in today.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2013, 11:06:09 am »
I wish I could tell you to ignore PatM's advice, but it is as sound and as valuable as a 90 lb gold ingot.   

Better check with the school and see if they would ok this.  It's one thing to make bows in the garage with your buddies, but once an organization is involved...especially one that has more than a dollar in a bank account, someone is looking to find a way to sue.  Everyone says they won't sue, but they all change their tune when they get that first splinter under a fingernail.

Offline 4dog

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2013, 11:14:18 am »
Maybe the pvc bows werent such a bad idea..lol
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline rockrush69

• i want to live in a tipi and hunt for my food
    • facebook.com/flingahbows
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2013, 11:29:19 am »
That was my logic on the matter lol . Pvc just bends over when broke (unless heated to much in one spot and becomes brittle) for about thirty bucks and a heat gun or stove top you can make about 20 bows tht look like horse bows and are harde to explode and they really do shoot nice.  I have one and i actually hog hunted with it a year ago . (And missed :( ) anyways ... good luck bro . And etherway its cool you introducing archery to people . I feel its a dying aport everywhere but on here sometimes :)
JESSE "HALF CHEROKEE" RUSH
The rabbit lost his tail cause the fox tricked him and told him to stick it thru the ice to catch fish he became stuck and the bear snatched him out by his ears leaving his bushy tail behind and streching his long ears... Cherokee story "how the rabbit lost his tail" :)

Offline Josh B

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2013, 11:37:18 am »
It really sucks, but PatM is absolutely correct.  Everything you do these days, has to be done with more than a token of thought towards potential liability.  It has gotten well passed the point where a good will gesture towards your fellow man is simply appreciated and maybe some day reciprocated.  Nowadays ,if you do a little something for someone they get the idea that not only can you do more for them, but that they are entitled to everything you can ever do on their behalf.  If you don't voluntarily give it to them, they'll take it in court.  The point is, be careful at whatever you do.  It can and will be held against you!  This may sound bitter and cynical, but its just the way it is.  Josh