Author Topic: backing Ipe ? options?  (Read 4782 times)

Offline lostarrow

backing Ipe ? options?
« on: September 20, 2013, 11:36:18 pm »
 Recently had a very productive trip to buy some lumber . My dealer  just happened to have a clean White Ash  board with perfect grain. Will yield four staves with no waste. While looking through the dregs of Elm he had I noticed a piece of Ipe  standing in the corner. 1"x5-1/2" x 8' long . 1/4 sawn with no runoff at all :o . Crappy bit for the last 12" but he didn't charge for that. Should be able to get 4 from it as well .  I've never worked with Ipe before . I  plan on backing it  with either Hickory or Bamboo. Would  Ash, or White Oak hold up to the stress? If so , should it be thicker (3/16)? Also found 2 Water Buffalo horns for $10 each and a nice Abalone shell for $6 , in the last couple of weeks.  Now I just have to find the time to turn them into a nice ELB

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
Re: backing Ipe ? options?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 12:22:27 am »
Ash is an amazing tension wood, and makes excellent backings. I prefer it over hickory, personally.
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline adb

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 12:50:26 am »
I've used ash, hickory, maple and bamboo with ipe. All worked wonderful. No issues. Appropriate grain, of course. ELBs, warbows, and flatbows. Cameroo just made an ipe flatbow backed with white oak I think. Cam?

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 02:08:26 am »
That one I posted recently was a maple-backed ipe, but I have used white oak on ipe before with no issues.  No need to trap the back or anything like that.  No need to go any thicker than what you would normally use either.  1/8" would be fine, although 3/16 would be just as fine :)  It's all in the grain.   You could take a strip of white oak and bend it in a circle without snapping it.

On another unrelated note, a question for Adam (don't want to hijack your post Lostarrow but it's kind of related), I was just wondering if you have ever made an ipe bow with grain nice enough to leave un-backed?  Can ipe handle tension at all?

Offline adb

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 10:27:15 am »
No idea. Never tried it. It works so well as a backed bow. Why mess with a good thing?  ;)

Offline dbb

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 10:33:23 am »
Some time ago the same question was asked,i posted a pic of a ipe selfbow that a guy on a Swedish forum made it was an elb style bow.
So yes it can be done.
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline adb

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2013, 10:37:57 am »
I think the South American natives in the Amazon region made ipe selfbows. Really long. Like 7' long, and narrow. Long arrows, too. I think a selfbow from ipe would work better as a stave. No idea where you'd get a stave of ipe.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 11:05:25 am by adb »

Offline dbb

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2013, 11:10:26 am »
I foud the post i mentioned,its in swdish so most of you cant read it but a Picture is Worth a 1000 Words  ;D
http://hem.bredband.net/yng1394/ipebow.html

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2013, 12:21:22 pm »
Not hijacking at all Cameroo! Very legitimate, and relevant question. I was tossing around the idea myself , but the contrast between the creamy white and deep red looks soooooooo good! Like I said ,I've never worked it , but it's so hard and dense I would think it would be less suited to tension load.

Next question :  Does it glue well with the bamboo using TBII, TBIII  ?

Offline adb

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2013, 12:45:54 pm »
I foud the post i mentioned,its in swdish so most of you cant read it but a Picture is Worth a 1000 Words  ;D
http://hem.bredband.net/yng1394/ipebow.html

Wow. That bow is a toothpick. Doesn't take much ipe to make a bow!!

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2013, 01:36:21 pm »
I think the South American natives in the Amazon region made ipe selfbows. Really long. Like 7' long, and narrow. Long arrows, too. I think a selfbow from ipe would work better as a stave. No idea where you'd get a stave of ipe.

I'm sure you can order a stave of ipe but I'm also sure it will cost a fortune
I like osage

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2013, 01:44:38 pm »
Thanks for posting that link.  Interesting bow!

BTW, if you use google chrome for your browser, you have the option to translate foreign pages to your native language ;)  A button will appear at the top of the page giving you the option.  Makes that link a little more meaningful.

Offline adb

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2013, 02:31:11 pm »

I'm sure you can order a stave of ipe but I'm also sure it will cost a fortune

From where? Care to share your source?

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2013, 09:23:32 pm »
Not bad at all. 1-1/4" set is less than spectacular however.   Any guesses why ?

Offline dbb

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2013, 09:00:24 am »
Not bad at all. 1-1/4" set is less than spectacular however.   Any guesses why ?
I reread the article and he admits that he pushed it too far too long time too early,i guess that will be the cause to atleast some of the set.