Author Topic: Tanned snake skin  (Read 1295 times)

Offline Mad Max

Tanned snake skin
« on: September 20, 2013, 06:32:44 pm »
I have a tanned snake skin, is there anything i need to do to it before i glue it on my bow? ??? ??? ???
it's thicker and leathery  :(
I would rather fail trying to do something above my means, Than to succeed at something beneath my means.

Offline Josh B

Re: Tanned snake skin
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 06:48:55 pm »
They'll work fine Mark.  They are a little more difficult to get bent around the really tight curves, but it can be done.  It just takes a lot more patience.  Be careful of wrinkles on the tight bends.  Josh

Offline Mad Max

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 06:52:32 pm »
Thanks Doc
can i soak them and scrape them?
I would rather fail trying to do something above my means, Than to succeed at something beneath my means.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 07:01:47 pm »
You can soak em.  There's no need to scrape em.  They're only thicker because  the tanning fluffs the skin. Once your glue dries they'll be no thicker than green skins.  Josh

Offline Mad Max

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 07:05:40 pm »
You can soak em.  There's no need to scrape em.  They're only thicker because  the tanning fluffs the skin. Once your glue dries they'll be no thicker than green skins.  Josh

Thanks
 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Offline Josh B

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2013, 07:10:26 pm »
Any time Sir!  Josh

Offline bubby

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 07:12:49 pm »
I soak some of mine in glycerin it will darken the really light skins and makes the pattern pop, wash'em in dawn and rinse and their good to go
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Mad Max

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2013, 07:24:36 pm »
I soak some of mine in glycerin it will darken the really light skins and makes the pattern pop, wash'em in dawn and rinse and their good to go
Like for your hands???
i was going to darken under them with something?
it's going on a molly on the working part of the limbs, so darkening the skin would be better.

Offline warpath

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2013, 08:58:40 pm »
Mad Max- I do all of the above and then wrap them in shrink wrap. It helps with those tough curves and rounded backs that some self-bows have. Then set it in the sun for about 3 hours, unwrap, and let sit for another 24 hours or however long it takes whatever glue you're using to cure.

G