Author Topic: finished first english longbow thanks for the help ( with pics)  (Read 4477 times)

Offline rockrush69

• i want to live in a tipi and hunt for my food
    • facebook.com/flingahbows
finished first english longbow thanks for the help ( with pics)
« on: September 20, 2013, 03:24:30 pm »
After alot of work and some fails finally i have it finished ... i backed it with linen and then gave it a coat of poly for shine after oiling it about 15 times ... cow bone tip overlays . Its my first elb and i know it could be better but its 65# @ 28" and shoots incredibaly fast and acurate... by far the hardest bow i have ever had the pleasure of making yet . 
JESSE "HALF CHEROKEE" RUSH
The rabbit lost his tail cause the fox tricked him and told him to stick it thru the ice to catch fish he became stuck and the bear snatched him out by his ears leaving his bushy tail behind and streching his long ears... Cherokee story "how the rabbit lost his tail" :)

Offline rockrush69

Re: finished first english longbow thanks for the help ( with pics)
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 03:29:29 pm »
I know it seems like there is some hinge in the bottom limb but on the tillering tree that is not there ... i think it is an optical illusion on the picture.  And the enscription under the handle is" un dieu. " which means one god ... and i am half irish and cherokee so my irish clan " the rush clan " has a crest and a motto on the crest ... " un-dieu" is our family motto and because it is and english longbow i wanted to tap into my europien roots on this one.  I hope you guys like the pics .
The rabbit lost his tail cause the fox tricked him and told him to stick it thru the ice to catch fish he became stuck and the bear snatched him out by his ears leaving his bushy tail behind and streching his long ears... Cherokee story "how the rabbit lost his tail" :)

Offline WillS

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 05:49:15 pm »
Very nice dude, congrats!  Especially after the bad luck with your first, that must feel good!

Hope you don't mind me suggesting slightly smaller tips with the next one - I think it's fairly common to leave tips bigger than necessary on your first few bows as reducing feels risky!  I still make my tips too big haha!  Looks ace though so well done!

Offline warpath

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 05:57:33 pm »
Very nice!! :)

G

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 06:35:15 pm »
Cool bow. Is it yew? Its on my to do list when I find some straight yew.   :laugh:
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline rockrush69

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2013, 06:56:05 pm »
Thanks a ton everyo ne :)  ... i followed saxon popes old horrible bow so the tips are what his were ... i think 1/2" by 1/2" . The initial ruff out was 1and 1/4 wide and 1 and1/8 thick and a tapered messurment every six inches after about a foor up and down from the handle ... this was a hunting bow that i followex and i built it to hunt .hence the linen backing (which from what i have heRd isent necessary on yew elbs) to protect against dings and nicks . .......
And to answer the question .... yes it is PACIFIC YEW . i get all my yew wood from medicine bow woods . And i recomend them alot because dave (the owner) gave me 3 staves for 150$ !!! 2 yew staves ( both very nice ) and 1 vinemaple (which i made a great bow from ) you may wanna buy some pacific yew as i hear uk yew is usually crooked and hard to find straight . My staves were very straight and knot free !

Offline rockrush69

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 07:03:46 pm »
Here are a few pics of the staves i got from Medicine bow woods . And i must add ... i broke the first one . And the owner dave said go ahead with the second and if it breaks he would send me 2 more !!! Free!!!  I thought that was stand up of him .

Offline WillS

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2013, 07:06:36 pm »
Pffft pacific yew ;-)

English yew is straight, clean and perfect for even the heaviest warbows if ya know where to look ;-)

Offline adb

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2013, 07:37:57 pm »
Pffft pacific yew ;-)

English yew is straight, clean and perfect for even the heaviest warbows if ya know where to look ;-)

Yew snob!  8)

Offline WillS

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2013, 07:41:30 pm »
S'alright, I paid a fortune for a Pacific Yew stave before finding my "yew contact" locally so I shouldn't gloat.

Offline rockrush69

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2013, 08:16:37 pm »
 :P

Offline adb

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2013, 09:11:46 pm »
I think you've done well with the tiller. I don't see a hinge in the bottom limb. Keep in mind your bottom limb is longer and is therefore going to bend more (depending on how far above center you place your arrow pass). I think you'd be happier with your bow if you refined those tips a wee bit. JMHO.

Offline rockrush69

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2013, 10:08:32 pm »
They are pretty skinny . 3/8 by3/8 but . I wish i would have angled the tips back and then glued the cow bone on and filed it differently ... but its sealed and finished and purdy . . Lol im done with it . It is by no means my last yew elb though ... and thats a fact :) but i do agree they are crude tips to say the least .

Offline adb

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2013, 11:10:23 pm »
You could easily angle off the tip on the back and add an overlay. You can also narrow them a bit I you want. Tips can be unbelievably small. Mine usually end up not much bigger than my little finger. But, like you said... call it done and make another!

Offline rockrush69

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2013, 01:44:18 am »
It was a real scarry process to make this bow cause my first stave of yew exploded in like five spots on me so i dont wanna chance messing the tips up on this one ... i am ordering more staves soon and i wanna build a yew flatbow and at least one more elb with actual horn knocks ( now that i get free horn and sinew from a butcher friend i met )( i hVe a ton of sinew now by the way and i get about 8 new cow leg tendons per week for free :)    )