Author Topic: does adding more sinew raise draw weight ?  (Read 6607 times)

Offline TimPotter

Re: does adding more sinew raise draw weight ?
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2013, 09:25:15 am »
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Polly water proof? I'd think it would effect the curing time of sinew as it would seal it off from oxygen too soon. But hey to each their own. As to draw weight increase the answer is yes. A properly layed course of sinew can raise it by 5-10#.
"The best way to find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them."  Ernest Hemingway

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2013, 10:03:48 am »
Poly is water resistant, and it does slow the curing process. I've had to retiller some bows with sinew overtime that were not sealed with polyurethane.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2013, 10:40:24 am »
Nothing will prevent sinew or wood from changing M/C as the R/H changes. Both are hygroscopic and that means they take on and release moisture to the atmosphere as the R/H changes.
 My Massey Medicine Bow(sinew backed hickory) has changed weight from 45# to 65# depending of the R/H at the time. That bow was sealed with Massey finish(2ton epoxy thinned with acetone), 5 coats of Tru-Oil and a spray of satin poly.

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline TimPotter

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2013, 11:33:13 am »
Thanks for the info. I know of some who apply sinew with TitebondII and III and as a protective backing I see it as fine, but I much prefer hide or sinew glue and then set it aside to cure for a time then maybe sealing it with something water proof. When you think of it the birch-bark wrappings done on the ancient bows and even the snake skin were water barriers. :)
"The best way to find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them."  Ernest Hemingway

Offline rockrush69

• i want to live in a tipi and hunt for my food
    • facebook.com/flingahbows
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2013, 02:40:43 pm »
I have so many bows that have been backed with sinew its rediculus and 2 of them are hickory . I have never wieghed them during moist and dry times.  But i have never noticed a change.  Looks like im gonna need to check on this ... i definatly belive you . Because number one hickory and si ew both suck water up like crazy . And number two . Well .... you guys are respected members of this site . Who are very good bowyers . And yes . Poly slows down the process . But nothing really totally seals anything period ..... im sure it may help with the moisture changing the bows weight from day to day though . As it slows this down ....
JESSE "HALF CHEROKEE" RUSH
The rabbit lost his tail cause the fox tricked him and told him to stick it thru the ice to catch fish he became stuck and the bear snatched him out by his ears leaving his bushy tail behind and streching his long ears... Cherokee story "how the rabbit lost his tail" :)

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2013, 03:58:35 pm »
Can u seal the sinew with a layer or two of super glue
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2013, 05:25:29 pm »
I took Pat's Medicine bow hunting one morning near the Kissimmee River and shot a hog with it. No doubt it was shooting in the 60# range. By afternoon with the temperature and humidity climbing I had to park it for the Benelli. It was shooting my arrows to inconsistently to hunt with.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?