Author Topic: does this sound possible?  (Read 5536 times)

Offline BowSlayer

does this sound possible?
« on: September 20, 2013, 01:41:56 pm »
I started college last week and right next door is a place that sells hardwood flooring.  And I might have acces to some bamboo flooring boards that are 62" long.  Could I make a flat bow if I glued on a risor/handle. Would I need to back it? Any info is great.  Thanks.
London, England.

45#@28"

blackhawk

Re: does this sound possible?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 02:19:33 pm »
 bamboo flooring is planed flat..so the nodes and power fibers are exposed and violated to much to handle tension loads in bows....you can use it in cores tho in a trilam...but I think that's a lil bit too much for you right now.. ;)

Offline Jodocus

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 03:29:52 pm »
 :o You haven't made any trilams with bamboo flooring, do you , Mr. Hawk?  :-X ;D
Don't shoot!

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 04:11:50 pm »
bamboo flooring is planed flat..so the nodes and power fibers are exposed and violated to much to handle tension loads in bows....you can use it in cores tho in a trilam...but I think that's a lil bit too much for you right now.. ;)

What if I backed it? With ash or if I get some hickory?
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 04:23:13 pm »
If you're talking about backing bamboo boards I'd say no because bamboo is horrible in compression which is why it's used for backings not belly wood
I like osage

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2013, 04:33:20 pm »
If you're talking about backing bamboo boards I'd say no because bamboo is horrible in compression which is why it's used for backings not belly wood

Could it be used as a powerlam in a trilam bow?
London, England.

45#@28"

blackhawk

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 05:17:50 pm »

Can you share your experiences with that? .....I have a James parker bamboo back and bamboo bellied bow with an osage and ipe core that spits 10 gpp arrows in the 180's fps...and it isn't a set stricken bow either(a bow that fast isn't belly noodle wood)....traditionally the Japanese made all bamboo bows.....and rightfully so because it does work well as a belly.....now obviously lots more can be said and written about this(a whole books worth)....I'm guessing you have zero experience,and are repeating something you heard by someone else who didn't have a clue what they were saying,and regurgitating false information

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2013, 05:23:58 pm »

Can you share your experiences with that? .....I have a James parker bamboo back and bamboo bellied bow with an osage and ipe core that spits 10 gpp arrows in the 180's fps...and it isn't a set stricken bow either(a bow that fast isn't belly noodle wood)....traditionally the Japanese made all bamboo bows.....and rightfully so because it does work well as a belly.....now obviously lots more can be said and written about this(a whole books worth)....I'm guessing you have zero experience,and are repeating something you heard by someone else who didn't have a clue what they were saying,and regurgitating false information

Not even gonna argue with you I used bamboo twice took boat loads of set don't try to guess what I've done
I like osage

Offline warpath

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2013, 05:26:25 pm »
I've made tons of bows using bamboo flooring. It's good for cores and bellies. Never had a problem with it. Terrible for backings though for reasons stated above by Blackhawk. I've backed it with ash, hickory, maple, and standard bamboo backings and they've made nice bows. Got anywhere from 25#'s -75#'s depending on how thick I cut the flooring. It even makes nice handle risers as well. As long as you have a good backing, I say go for it!!!

G

blackhawk

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2013, 05:34:45 pm »
@ Joe....then its obvious it was operator error and not the bamboos fault,and the many thousands of succesful bamboo bellied bows more than proves its good in compression ...you can't say its bad in compresion when you were the one at fault....jus saying

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2013, 05:39:12 pm »
@ Joe....then its obvious it was operator error and not the bamboos fault,and the many thousands of succesful bamboo bellied bows more than proves its good in compression ...you can't say its bad in compresion when you were the one at fault....jus saying

Cool I don't know why I even commented I only make self bows anymore
I like osage

Offline warpath

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2013, 05:55:20 pm »
@ Blackhawk and Joe- If that bamboo bow took alot of set as Joe said, Then it could be that either the bamboo or any other wood used on those bows had too much moisture content. I've made that mistake before. :( Now I make sure that all bamboo I use is right were it should be when it come to MC.
  Blackhawk is right though.... it was bowyer error. This includes know the MC of the materials being used. Moisture meters are are one of the best tools any woodworker can own!!

G

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2013, 06:31:55 pm »
Cool.  Good to know it works. I think they might even have some oak and other woods that might work well. Hey warpath got any pics? Post em here or Pm them to me so I can get an idea of what type of bow it makes.  Thanks.
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline bubby

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2013, 07:17:35 pm »

it's a poor carpenter that blames the tools, I have seen LOTS  of boo belly bows and all boo bows
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline bubby

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2013, 07:19:25 pm »

x2 all day
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹