Author Topic: Longevity of osage bows  (Read 9520 times)

Offline adb

Re: Longevity of osage bows
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2013, 06:35:20 pm »
I'd go with the glue being dry and old.

Offline twisted hickory

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2013, 10:42:18 pm »
How about this thought. Since hickory is very hydroscopic, or whatever that word is. If a person was to shoot his hickory bow year round whenever they felt the desire with no regard to seasons or weather. Would it be detrimental to the bow during high humidity? Is it crushing cells each time its drawn while "wet"?
I spent most the summer shooting a hick bow that when it was dry this winter it pulled 55@ 27 in August if fell to 49@ 27 and felt spongy...So I made another to shoot ;) I like to wear them out then I can build another. I will test said bow this winter and see if it goes back up to 55. I doubt it though.
Greg

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2013, 10:50:39 pm »
How about this thought. Since hickory is very hydroscopic, or whatever that word is. If a person was to shoot his hickory bow year round whenever they felt the desire with no regard to seasons or weather. Would it be detrimental to the bow during high humidity? Is it crushing cells each time its drawn while "wet"?
I spent most the summer shooting a hick bow that when it was dry this winter it pulled 55@ 27 in August if fell to 49@ 27 and felt spongy...So I made another to shoot ;) I like to wear them out then I can build another. I will test said bow this winter and see if it goes back up to 55. I doubt it though.
Greg

So you're saying your bows wear out in less than a year ?
I like osage

Offline sleek

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2013, 07:21:41 am »
Regardless to what he is saying, I think he is experiencing moisture dampening his bow. In the winter the poundage will go back up. Not all the way, but it will go back up.

I have handles an osage bow close to 100 years old. It was the darkest reddest brown you can imagine. I bent it a few times without a string ( it didnt have one ) and it seemed fine to me. it was a straight and crudely made stick with deep side nocks and a rounded end. I recall it being a bendy handle and not very long. I was very tempted to offer to make a string to string it up. But, I didnt want to be the cause a 100 year old bow broke.

Another guy I spoke to told me he owns an 80 year old osage made by his grandfather. He wanted to know if it could still shoot. without seeing it I couldnt tell him. He was supposed to show me but never did.

If the bow is well cared for, and the wood is quality, I cant see them not lasting longer than we our selves do. Trees were built to flex. I dont think they wear out. Look at the 1000+ year old redwoods, and Joshua trees. Just past the sapwood they are all dead wood, as the layer just under the bark is the only living part. And they bend all the time in wind. I dont think a well made and cared for bow of any wood can ever die.

So now I must ask, what bow have you got you are worried about? Did you find some old neat relic?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2013, 08:20:12 am »
Greg

So you're saying your bows wear out in less than a year ?

Im not sure he said that directly big Joe. But he did somewhat answer my question. He shot his hickory bows during the worse time you can shoot a hickory bow. The bows lost a bunch of weight that wont come back, thats damaged wood. So my answer to Erics question about all woods making an equally durable bow would be, nope. Unless I can my shoot bow whenever I feel like it with no measureable ill effects, its not durable bow wood and wont last as long as some others. No matter its design (within reason).
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2013, 08:44:45 am »
Regional climate would have to be considered in determining one bow woods longevity over another.  IF it is true that Osage and yew get brittle when too dry, then hickory would be the better bet for longevity in the arid regions.  I don't know if that is true. I've no experience with yew at all and I've never seen a case personally where Osage got brittle from too dry of an environment.  I do know that hickory is every bit as good as Osage where I live due to the somewhat drier climate.  If I lived 3 or 4 hrs farther east, hickory would not be so high on my preferred list.  Just something to think about. Josh

Offline Eric Garza

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2013, 08:54:53 am »
So now I must ask, what bow have you got you are worried about? Did you find some old neat relic?

Nope, unfortunately no old neat relic. I've just been reflecting on how much time I've spent over the last decade making bows. I've made several hickory bows that shot nicely for one season, but when I dusted them off the next spring seemed to have lost a lot of their uumph. I've only made a couple osage bows, and one I donated to a local organization to raffle and the other was too short for me to shoot comfortably so it ended up in the wood stove. I'm wondering if it's worth investing in more osage staves and if I'd end up with longer-lasting bows if I did so.

In truth I've already answered this question to a degree, from other reading and judging by the fact I have two nice staves on the drying rack that I'll start cleaning up early next spring.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2013, 09:03:50 am »
If i lived on the east coast, there wouldn't even be a question in my mind as to what would last longer.  Osage would be top of the list for me.  Come to think of it, it is anyway.  But only by a small margin.  Josh

Offline Eric Garza

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2013, 10:04:12 am »
What's your second choice, behind osage orange?

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2013, 10:13:46 am »
I have made some nice whitewood bows and taken deer with them.  I think hickory, white oak, and elm are good bow wood, but there aren't any 50 and 100 year old fence posts around my area that aren't osage or cedar....  Some of the older farmers here argue that osage outlasts steel T posts.  Anything that can last outside in the elements for decades is something special.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Josh B

« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2013, 10:38:26 am »
For my region it was hickory.  I say was because my ironwood(hhb) stash is finally seasoned and I'm just starting to work with it.  It's too early to say for sure, but I suspect that it will be my second choice, replacing hickory.  Like I said, that's sort of a preliminary opinion.  I need to make another half dozen or so different design bows with it to get a better feel for it.  I don't believe that one or two bows of a species of wood is enough to provide adequate experience to base a well informed opinion on.  I plan on harvesting some vinemaple next time I'm in the PNW.  I suspect it for a top slot as well.  I'm only basing that on reports from folks that I highly respect and my purple pinecone bow that i got in the bow trade.  That is one impressive performer.  Josh

blackhawk

« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2013, 11:23:27 am »
Because were human and not perfect osage is #1 ..let's face it no one "perfectly" cares for there bows no matter how hard they try.....no other wood can compare to taking all the abuses it can take and still shoot well and long lived..and the abuse list to bows is loooooooong....I've been around n making bows long enough now to see a higher percentage of my osage bows outlast " white" bows in my experiences...and I would think I know how to design and care for a bow(or maybe I'm wrong)...I think my second choice for all around durability and lasting a good while wood be black locust...

I like to sing this from time to time..its my rendition of the bowyers national anthem...

" O-sage can you see..by the bowyers bench...what so proudly we hail...as the king of all bow wood...and the yeller woods bending everywhere..while the white woods breaking everywhere..gave proof thru the night...that osage is still there....o say does that yeller wood banner yet wave...in the land of the free..and in the home of the bowyer" !!!!! ;D

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2013, 11:26:51 am »
   :o   Don't quit your day job, Chris  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Josh B

« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2013, 11:32:51 am »
Dang it!  I completely forgot about black locust.  There's a lot of posts and pole barns that speak to its longevity in humid climates.
Oh...I second Danzn bar's statement!  That really was terrible Chris!  Lol!  Josh

Offline Eric Garza

« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2013, 11:35:35 am »
" O-sage can you see..by the bowyers bench...what so proudly we hail...as the king of all bow wood...and the yeller woods bending everywhere..while the white woods breaking everywhere..gave proof thru the night...that osage is still there....o say does that yeller wood banner yet wave...in the land of the free..and in the home of the bowyer" !!!!! ;D

Nice! When's the YouTube version going up? Talk about a video with the potential to go viral  :P