Author Topic: white oak question  (Read 2397 times)

Offline Lee Lobbestael

white oak question
« on: September 18, 2013, 07:34:14 am »
Hey guys, Will white oak with thin growth rings tolerate some ring violations like hickory does? I have several winter cut white oak staves that have very thin rings and I feel that I will probably violate the growth ring directly under the cambium a few times when I take off the bark.

blackhawk

Re: white oak question
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 07:43:26 am »
Its not that hard to be careful and not nick the wood underneath if your good with hand tools...start carefully with a drawknife taking all the rough outer bark off,then scrape the rest of the inner bark off with a scraper..then 220 sandpaper....just be careful of any knots and raised areas....I'd rather take my time and do it right exposing a clean non violated back...that is the base foundation of your bow so do it right

Offline adb

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 10:45:15 am »
I agree. It's worth the time and effort to do it right. Yew is the only wood I don't worry about chasing a ring on the back.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 04:00:23 pm »
I don't trust any wood with ring violations.  Easy with a dknife and use a scraper early on. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Lee Lobbestael

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 04:29:09 pm »
Ok thanks guys! I do plan on being as careful as possible. Was just wondering if i accidentally nick through a growth ring, do I have to worry about it. I know that several hickory self bows I have built have had ring violations due to the thin growth rings and they hold up just fine if the bow isn't too extreme.

Offline rockrush69

• i want to live in a tipi and hunt for my food
    • facebook.com/flingahbows
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 05:41:00 pm »
I would leave the bark on ... make the bow and while tillering alot of the time ... most of the bark pops off .
JESSE "HALF CHEROKEE" RUSH
The rabbit lost his tail cause the fox tricked him and told him to stick it thru the ice to catch fish he became stuck and the bear snatched him out by his ears leaving his bushy tail behind and streching his long ears... Cherokee story "how the rabbit lost his tail" :)

Offline rockrush69

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 05:44:13 pm »
Also . You can use a draw knife and carefully scrap bark off . Get down to the " under bark layer " and then use a rounded scraper . But dont scrap from tip to tip direction . Scrap side to side . . . This is the method i use on yew and i get zero violation ....
The rabbit lost his tail cause the fox tricked him and told him to stick it thru the ice to catch fish he became stuck and the bear snatched him out by his ears leaving his bushy tail behind and streching his long ears... Cherokee story "how the rabbit lost his tail" :)

Offline rockrush69

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 05:46:58 pm »
If there is a violation . Then just back it with sinew , rawhide, or linen . ( real linen from flax is actually very good backing )