Author Topic: Here is mine, what was your very first bow?  (Read 20825 times)

Offline Twinkie_slayer

Re: Here is mine, what was your very first bow?
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2013, 12:06:02 am »
Mine was a 60" sinew backed hickory flat bow. My buddy has it and shoots it still. That was roughly 10-12 years ago, cant remember for certain. Mickey Lotz helped me get started.

Interesting how time stretches. Fortunately, the internet has a better memory :D

17th post down, from March, 2010.

Jerry at Great Northern says limb cores have so little to do with bow performance that "average Joes" would never notice. He says its all in the bow design and craftsmanship. I have no choice but to believe him, I've never built a bow.

http://leatherwall.bowsite.com/TF/lw/thread2.cfm?threadid=206878&category=88#2695402
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 11:20:13 am by Twinkie_slayer »

Offline soy

• pm106221
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline rockrush69

• i want to live in a tipi and hunt for my food
    • facebook.com/flingahbows
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2013, 01:27:53 am »
Carrot wood bundle bow . About three feet long . Had a fishingline string at first . And then i put parachord on it ... i just started making bows two years ago . I have made around fifty since then with about forty of them that held together and about the last twenty that are good bows . The last was a yew elb . Yep .... i came along long long way :) this o e hangs on its own wall though because its what sparked my interest . I was merly into survival at first and this bow made me become a learning bowyer
JESSE "HALF CHEROKEE" RUSH
The rabbit lost his tail cause the fox tricked him and told him to stick it thru the ice to catch fish he became stuck and the bear snatched him out by his ears leaving his bushy tail behind and streching his long ears... Cherokee story "how the rabbit lost his tail" :)

Offline Traxx

« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2013, 02:57:42 am »
You admin now Sleek?

Offline sleek

« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2013, 04:13:19 am »
No, I just got really ticked when I saw this guy calling out Pearl in what appears to be a hateful message with no truth or point. The post reads that he never made a bow. Come on really? Guys on this forum own some of pearls bows. I dont go to any site other than this and PP, but seemed to me like Twinkie ( I just bought a box of those, they are sooo good ) Slayer was trying to bring drama over here without being provoked. Either way, that sounds like a PM conversation to me, not a public thing. I didnt like it. What I posted before I deleated it should also have been a PM thing I admit. Flew off the handle.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline TimPotter

« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2013, 07:42:17 am »
Black Locust split from wrist sized tree. Mostly white wood with dark heart wood down center. I still have it, though because I made it when green it dried in a sideways banana shape. :o

"The best way to find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them."  Ernest Hemingway

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2013, 08:47:20 am »
Mine was a 60" sinew backed hickory flat bow. My buddy has it and shoots it still. That was roughly 10-12 years ago, cant remember for certain. Mickey Lotz helped me get started.

Interesting how time stretches. Fortunately, the internet has a better memory :D

17th post down.

Jerry at Great Northern says limb cores have so little to do with bow performance that "average Joes" would never notice. He says its all in the bow design and craftsmanship. I have no choice but to believe him, I've never built a bow.

http://leatherwall.bowsite.com/TF/lw/thread2.cfm?threadid=206878&category=88#2695402

Oh Boy! Another fan of my work. That's exciting for me. Thanks for tagging along Twinkie licker! I should have another finished up in a week. Keep an eye out!

« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 09:15:49 am by PEARL DRUMS »
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2013, 08:48:46 am »
No, I just got really ticked when I saw this guy calling out Pearl in what appears to be a hateful message with no truth or point. The post reads that he never made a bow. Come on really? Guys on this forum own some of pearls bows. I dont go to any site other than this and PP, but seemed to me like Twinkie ( I just bought a box of those, they are sooo good ) Slayer was trying to bring drama over here without being provoked. Either way, that sounds like a PM conversation to me, not a public thing. I didnt like it. What I posted before I deleated it should also have been a PM thing I admit. Flew off the handle.

Thanks for looking out sleek.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

blackhawk

« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2013, 09:27:33 am »
Black Locust split from wrist sized tree. Mostly white wood with dark heart wood down center. I still have it, though because I made it when green it dried in a sideways banana shape. :o

Welcome back over to PA again thimo  ;)  :D

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2013, 10:34:12 am »
A lot of these first bows are really amazing.  My first few ended up stove wood! 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline dbb

« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2013, 10:50:28 am »
A lot of these first bows are really amazing.  My first few ended up stove wood! 

I did it the other way around...started well  got cocky and produced some shortlived bows and firewood after   :-[ ::)
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline 4dog

« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2013, 11:05:34 am »
The wealth of knowledge from tbb and you guys here that have been  building bows awhile makes it seem easy , and it is easier , everything is easier when you stand on the shoulders of giants, it is a testament to yalls free gifts of giving out that knowledge , and you deserve much more credit than you might feel you get, but be proud , cause it means your being listened to,and closely.
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline dbb

« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2013, 11:11:23 am »
The wealth of knowledge from tbb and you guys here that have been  building bows awhile makes it seem easy , and it is easier , everything is easier when you stand on the shoulders of giants, it is a testament to yalls free gifts of giving out that knowledge , and you deserve much more credit than you might feel you get, but be proud , cause it means your being listened to,and closely.
+1
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline Twinkie_slayer

« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2013, 11:23:35 am »

Actually, as of 2010 we have pearl stating that he's never made a bow,  but the 16th of this month he's stating that his first one was made "10-12 years ago". I'm just curious as to which statement is the truthful one, LOL.

Offline 4dog

« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2013, 11:26:31 am »
Of course there is always a bozo or two.  :-[
"SET" is always there !!!