Author Topic: Re-finished Tzalam Pyramid Bow, new pics  (Read 8874 times)

Offline cdpbrewer

Re: Re-finished Tzalam Longbow, new pics
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2013, 08:16:03 pm »
Great job Capt for a first bow- especially the low amount of set for a 58" ntn bow with a rigid handle and stiff outer limbs.   

If your next bow is another pyramid, considering first making one of Eric Krewson's tillering gizmos - http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=125;t=001047 to help with tillering.     

c.d.

Offline Capt

« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2013, 09:24:39 pm »
really nice job on your first bow, make the next bow a little lighter, like for your friend ::) :laugh:

I'm pretty sure one of us could whip up a bow with a draw weight she could handle REAL QUICK!  Heck I have a couple on hand, - - - what's your mailing address?   :o >:D

Oh, ...and uh, nice job on the Tzalam!  It's really an excellent first bow to be sure!

OneBow

She says sure she would love a bow, if anyone has the time and material and want to donate?

We are thinking of joining a local hunting club where they have regular shootouts.

If that was a serious comment that is? We would be able to make a thread special for the bow in question?

;D

mikekeswick

« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2013, 03:17:05 am »
The picture could be effecting this but... It looks like you are not holding the string in the middle of the bow e.g. the upper portion of the string is "shorter" and the lower portion is "longer."  You want to be careful to pull the string in the same location that you pulled it while you tillered the bow, so as not to cuase uneven stress on the limbs, and increase set.

Again,  great work on your first bow.  I'm looking foward to seeing more of your work.

Gabe

If you hold the string in the middle you shoot a hole through your hand!  :) :)
The upper part of the string is always shorter than the lower - hence more leverage on the lower limb - hence people leaving bows with a little positive tiller.

Capt - to find the nocking point take a line square from the top of your grip (arrowpass) back to the string and then go up an 1/8th of an inch.

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2013, 03:35:36 am »
You shoot a hole in your hand if you point an arrow at your hand, don't matter where you hold  the string.

Of course the nocking point is not in the middle of the bow, I was trying to use simple language to to explain that the string length above and below his hand hold looked "unusually" different.

You can also leave one limb longer to avoid the need for a positive tiller.

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline Capt

Re: Re-finished Tzalam Pyramid Bow, new pics
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2013, 07:56:51 pm »
My B-50 Just showed up in the post so i Flemmish twisted me up a new bowstring and served it up with some dacron and a nice little nock stop....

I think i can actually call it finished now!!

Just in time as my Osage is due to arrive tomorrow morning... Shoots well too... right on the mark !!

Onto Bow number 2  :D

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2013, 10:50:45 pm »
Looks great now, nice job on the first! Can't wait to see more of your work, it's gonna be better and better lol!
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline Capt

« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2013, 11:59:57 pm »
Looks great now, nice job on the first! Can't wait to see more of your work, it's gonna be better and better lol!

Thanks Zion, it shouldn't be long I hope to make a start on my Osage tomorrow so long as the post office have my package that's supposed to be ready to pick up. You never know in Mexico?

Offline 4dog

« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2013, 10:56:48 am »
Not one mention of starting a "Babes with Bows" thread  :o, ok shoot me , bow looks good like the tips very much.   8)
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline Parnell

« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2013, 01:16:09 pm »
That's a tremendous first bow.  I'm a fan of the scenery as well.  Very cool.
1’—>1’

Offline Capt

« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2013, 10:08:32 pm »
Three sets of 6....... at 60 feet..... it shoots smother by the set... must be getting shot in? ;D