Author Topic: BBB  (Read 5958 times)

Offline JonW

BBB
« on: September 14, 2013, 09:09:02 pm »
I bet you were expecting some bamboo huh? This is some Badly Bent Buckthorn. 50" at the nocks. 53# @ 25". I almost burned this one cause of a crack on the back that popped while tillering. I put down a rawhide patch and wrapped it with some glue soaked hemp. So far so good. I wish I had this stuff growing around where I'm at. I LOVE this wood. Thanks Greg for the opportunity to work some Buckthorn. Here's the pics.

blackhawk

Re: BBB
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 09:32:31 pm »
Sweet Jon....looks like we got another buckthorn lover  ;D  awesome wood eh?  ;)

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 10:42:14 pm »
Jon every time I get done posting on you latest bow I see that there is another one down.  Great work man.  The bow almost looks like an homage to Greg's bows.  Love it in every way.

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 11:01:54 pm »
I also see a lot of Greg in that one. Don't worry though hopefully that will wear off.  :laugh:

Sweet looking bow. Greg gave me a bunch of that stuff to. I haven't yet tried it though. Someday soon.
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

mikekeswick

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 03:59:30 am »
Buckthorn is the business eh! It's tough old stuff  :)
How does it shoot? Maybe a little bit of handshock? Personally I might have gone for a little more bend in the outers, maybe you left them a little stiff to help string angle?

Offline okie64

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 09:30:58 am »
That is a great looking bow and tiller Jon!

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2013, 10:00:46 am »
Sweet.  Tiller looks just right!
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2013, 10:12:37 am »
Sweet bend on that one, Jon. She looks like a real shooter.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline JonW

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2013, 10:17:10 am »
Thanks guys.

Mike I haven't noticed much hand shock. There isn't enough mass in the whole bow to really have too much on the tips. It is only 50 inches long so there isn't much hanging out on the end. Yes it really is tuff for its weight.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2013, 10:45:14 am »
Great job JonW.Mesmerizing tiller.I can see why you like this wood equaling your draw length with one half of your bow.Course design has everything to do with that.Surviving a fix in the working section too.The picture of the back showing a tip reveals to me the same looking type of stringy grain that elm has on it's back.Very tension strong stuff.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline half eye

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2013, 11:28:55 am »
Since you don't know how to build a bad bow, which one ya takin huntin? don't you just love them lightweight little bows, they sure get my juices flowin......excellent bow, like allways
rich

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2013, 11:34:38 am »
Wow!... just WOW!!..... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline JonW

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2013, 01:04:55 pm »
Ah shucks guys. I appreciate the kind words. This is some good bow wood for sure. I got a little longer piece with much more character I'm looking forward to.

Rich I got two I plan on hunting with this year. A fair weather bow and a foul weather bow.
I made me a little rocket launcher sinew backed Osage recurve that I'm waiting on the finish to dry. I'll be posting it soon. The other bow I'll hunt with was made by some short Michigander that I think you may know ;)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2013, 01:19:23 pm »
Great little bow, great tiller.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2013, 01:34:03 pm »
Your title threw me for a minute.  I didn't open up this post until I saw your name.  I was afraid you had strayed away like Blackhawk has recently  ;D  I was glad to see a short selfbow posted.  Great job on it.  I have some buckthorn curing in my stash.  I'm looking forward to working with it.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left