Author Topic: What am I doing wrong?  (Read 3605 times)

Offline knapperhead

What am I doing wrong?
« on: September 14, 2013, 02:16:09 pm »
I am having a hard time finishing my points, they end up high on one side or on both ends. They look almost curved like a bowl. I do pretty well in the initial thinning stages but can't get them convex. Maybe I am getting them too flat when first thinning? I have been using copper but have tried hammerstones, a little antler and some indirect punching as well. I will add some pics when I get home next week to give a better idea of what I mean. It's getting frustrating......
Matt

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

Re: What am I doing wrong?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 02:28:45 pm »
folsom points? 8)
don't get them as thin to start. you can always take rock off, but can't add it back on.

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 04:19:14 pm »
go thru Towers posts, he did a how to on thinning that was very informative
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 05:49:17 pm »
I do the same if not paying attention from the start. Gotta keep an eye on them edges and keep em straight even if it costs you an inch off the tip. Unless your making pandales :). Sitting in with some other knappers would be great too.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Knapper

• David Atnip
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 06:07:22 pm »
All I got to say is youtube Allergichobbit
Knapper
Ad Dare Servire
PM104250

Offline knapperhead

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 11:15:11 am »
Thanks for the tips...
I have been watching all the videos and reading all the books I can get my hands on. I'm just waiting for that aha moment. Maybe I do need to sit with someone. I live close to Austin, Tx. but don't know any other knappers. I believe I will make sure my edges are straight on the next try and see how it goes. I just got some nice Keokuk spalls so I will beat on them for a while.
Matt

Offline knapperhead

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 12:42:25 pm »
go thru Towers posts, he did a how to on thinning that was very informative

I've been looking through Tower's posts for about an hour but haven't found the tutorial. Do you know the name of it? I tried the search function with no luck.
Thanks,
Matt

Offline bubby

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 01:34:52 pm »
not sure of the name of the thread, it used to be stickied at the top
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 05:39:58 pm »
Thinning with Pressure... By Tower.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,28416.0.html

Thought this was gonna be a Sticky...  :)

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2013, 05:57:36 pm »
Yea, it used to be a sticky at the top?  Are you running flakes straight in to the rock?  I've found that running flakes at an angle to the length of the point helps to keep convexity.  The flakes run longer and don't have to work as hard to do it.  That's my 2cents. dp

Oh yea, find someone to knapp with, got lots of us down in TX.

NOTE: When I said "us" I ment knapper, I'm a Hoosier.  ;)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 09:01:44 pm by bowtarist »
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Newindian

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2013, 08:16:24 pm »
If I'm correct tower is in the spring branch area north of San Antonio , so am I but I'm no knapper.
I like free stuff.

Offline Tower

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2013, 08:22:10 pm »
I'm in New Braunfels between SA  & Austin.  I'd love a visit any time . I have the beer & the Rock. Just let me know when.      Tower
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline knapperhead

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2013, 07:07:09 pm »
Yea, it used to be a sticky at the top?  Are you running flakes straight in to the rock?  I've found that running flakes at an angle to the length of the point helps to keep convexity.  The flakes run longer and don't have to work as hard to do it.  That's my 2cents. dp

Thanks for the link Gus. That is a very good tutorial Tower. Thanks for doing it.

I do tend to run the flakes straight in. I'm going to go out now and try a more oblique angle and focus on keeping the edges straight.

Tower, I pass through New Braunfels every other Tuesday, usually around 1:30 pm, I work down by Laredo. I live in Leander so it's close if Tuesdays are not good for you we could get together any day really. I'm off every other week. I would be honored to sit with you and break some rocks. I have some G-Town, Keokuk and a couple good pieces of Rootbeer I could bring. I will buy the beer as well, just name your brand.

I appreciate all the help........

Offline knapperhead

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2013, 10:11:48 pm »
I can get this far and then it's a crap shoot. About 10% of the time I end up with a half way descent point.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2013, 10:19:11 pm »
You've got it to pressure stage there. It's time for the Ishi stick and some thinning/ fine tuning. This is where sitting with someone would really help.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.