Author Topic: Any UK guys used this supplier for timber? (Exotic Hardwoods Ltd)  (Read 1864 times)

Offline dobson

The supplier here looks pretty good but I just wanted to check if anyone else has used him, looks like there's plenty of nice timber there
however I asked him about some American ash just checking that it would be suitable as there isn't much information on the website, I asked him if the grain was straight, wood was free of knots ect he assured me that the timber was "instrument quality" and would be fine but I'm not sure if I'm convinced yet.

If anyone from the UK has advice where I could get good ash timber for cheap id love to know!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 03:48:20 pm by Pat B »

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Any UK guys used this supplier for timber? (Exotic Hardwoods Ltd)
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 03:41:34 pm »
Blimey, they are not cheap!
I'm not into laminates so I can't help much.
I can tell you were you can get Boo a lot cheaper (I'll PM you if you want to know). Gotta be some woodland close to hand... we are coming up to the saeson for copicing etc. There is free wood out there!
I have some seasoned Ash if you are close enough  (Harlow Essex) to come and get it... a couple of botles of wine would suffice :)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline dobson

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 03:52:21 pm »
I'm not looking to make laminate bows, Ive been asked by a friend if I could make some, cheap low poundage longbows for reenactment use, so I'm thinking of building self ash longbows. I'm not sure of any woodland or timber yards close by (I'm near Leeds) so sadly I cant come down there!

The ash didn't look too expensive by my reckoning id get at 4 bows out of the ash he is providing (82" x 8" x 2") but maybe I'm missing something, another factor is whilst one day id love to be able to build bows from logs Id rather try and get sawn wood at the moment. Seasoning and roughing out looks intimidating to me, but if its free then there cant be any harm I suppose.

Offline danny f

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 04:09:03 pm »
i go to one called illingworth ingham they have a yard in hyde near manchester they let u go through all the boards in the racks to find straight grain. i buy planed wood as its easier to see the grain. but the lads said a guy comes in regularly for bow wood and he buys rough sawn which is alot cheaper

Offline dobson

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 04:27:56 pm »
Sounds good danny, how much would you say you spend on planed ash?

Offline danny f

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 06:40:13 pm »
i have been a few times and have paid around 30 ish pound per length, but you could get 2 or 3 bows for that. so i think its a good deal. if you looked through the rough sawn stuff you could get more bows for less money. the first time i went i found a great piece straight away. the last time i went i had to go through the whole rack to find a decent piece.