Author Topic: Hafting  (Read 6517 times)

Offline Matt G.

Hafting
« on: September 14, 2013, 08:10:30 am »
I have cut many selfnocks but I am wondering what methods you all use to cut your notches for hafting?  I'm using Hill cane and it is plugged. I know I have to fit the point as best I can and will use sand paper for that but the initial cut is what I'm asking about. Just use the same method as the selfnocks? Thank you in advance.
Keeping the Faith!
Matt

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Hafting
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 09:20:05 am »
Bandsaw for me. Then finish to size with sandpaper or a rat tail depending on the stone thickness. Im a rookie, soooooo.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Ozzy

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 09:42:37 am »
Bandsaw for me. Then finish to size with sandpaper or a rat tail depending on the stone thickness. Im a rookie, soooooo.
+1
THE BEST SUNRISES ARE SEEN 20 FEET UP A TREE.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 10:18:41 am »
Hacksaw or coping saw. Finish with sand paper. Sometimes I use small files then sandpaper.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Matt G.

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2013, 10:41:14 am »
Thanks for the reply's folks. I'll do the hack saw route as I can't get my bandsaw to run.
Keeping the Faith!
Matt

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2013, 10:45:00 am »
+1
+2
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2013, 12:32:35 pm »
I start with a single saw kerf(I use a bandsaw) and open it with a thin bladed knife and sand paper folded over and over as needed to get a good fit for the point.  First I determing which way the point fits best so it lines up, front to back and side to side. Once I get the point so it sets straight in the hafting groove I heat the back end point with a candle and add pitch. I then drip pitch in the hafting groove and press the point in place, lining it up as best as I can. I then spin the arrow on its point on my finger tip to see if there is any wobble. If it does wobble I'll reheat the point and straighten it, let it cool some and spin again. I repeat this until the arrow spins true.
 I now heat the joint to soften the pitch and smooth it out some with my fingers then add the sinew wrap. After the sinew is cured I spin the arrow again and if still true I'll seal the sinew wrap and go see how it shoots.
 If the point ever becomes loose or misalligned all you have to do is heat the point until the pitch loosens some, re-align the point and let the pitch harden again.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Matt G.

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2013, 01:41:06 pm »
Thanks for the great instructions Pat! I was going to ask those questions later. Lol! Going to do some test fitting on some scraps to get a feel for it before my pitch gets here. Thank you all for the help. Love this site!!!
Keeping the Faith!
Matt

Offline seminolewind

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2013, 11:30:55 pm »
I always drill a small hole where the bottom of the notch is to be then cut down either side with a coping saw. Finish with sandpaper.  (seems to work pretty good) :)
"Those that beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not." Thomas Jefferson

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2013, 09:40:15 am »
  Depending on how wide you want the nocks 2 or 3 hack saw blades taped together.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2013, 09:42:40 am »
  I finish with a file.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2013, 11:01:16 am »
I always drill a small hole where the bottom of the notch is to be then cut down either side with a coping saw. Finish with sandpaper.  (seems to work pretty good) :)

I also drill a hole with small round diamond hobby file but mine is drilled at the bottom of the nock after my initial cut.
The purpose is twofold !!! #1: It gives the split that you created nowhere to go by stopping the crack. I used it extensively while in the "Windshield Repair" business for 20+ years before filling the cracks with resin.
#2: If the hole is sized properly it should create the perfect size for your string serving and give you equivalently a snap on nock. Your string groove should be snug but not "tight", just a shade smaller than the hole at the bottom.
Lastly I taper and round the edges of the nock with a small single cut file and sandpaper before wrapping with sinew, staining, and sealing.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Matt G.

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2013, 06:52:22 pm »
Great tips guys. Thank you. I've done quite a few self nocks and am getting ready to do my first point hafting. Quick question. Does it matter on Hill cane the point orientation? Nodes are on too and borrow of the shaft. I know it matters on on wood shafts but what about on cane?

PS I like the tip on drilling a hole on the nock end.
Keeping the Faith!
Matt

Offline Matt G.

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2013, 09:19:30 am »
Should add that the point end is a hair oblonged. Kinda looks like this   
0  My thought is to go with the wider part so there's less drag at the transition but what do I know? Lol!
Keeping the Faith!
Matt

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2013, 03:50:16 pm »
I have yet to try this as I use a small folding saw to cut mine. This is from the Biskinik -Choctaw new paper April 2012 issue. Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,