Author Topic: Stupid little fact  (Read 1313 times)

Offline Joec123able

Stupid little fact
« on: September 13, 2013, 07:26:06 pm »
The true meaning of flipping someone off actually has something to do with archery :

The English and French were at war. The English used Longbows, which were plucked to shoot an arrow. When the French captured English soldiers, the French would cut off the english soldiers' middle fingers, which made it virtually imposible to fire the longbow. In battle, when the English made the French retreat, or just to taunt them, the English would raise their middle fingers at the French to show them that they still had their middle fingers. That's where it originated. Over time it has taken on the meaning of F.U.

Yep dumb little fact but just wanted to let it be known
I like osage

Offline BOWMAN53

Re: Stupid little fact
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 07:32:14 pm »
that is really interesting.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 07:44:03 pm »
Read it before and saluted someone driving home from work.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 08:05:36 pm »
Read it before and saluted someone driving home from work.

LOL
I like osage

Offline sleek

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 08:29:16 pm »
I read that before as well... Sounds good.

Being a sailor I have the answer to the history of the word shit. Its actually an acronym. Back in the day of wooden sailing vessels, folks were confused why the manure ships were dissapearing. Finally they figured out all that caca was letting off methane gas in the holds. Somebody with a lit lantern would go below to check the bilge and boom. the ship get disentigrated. So The decided to crate it up and ship it on deck where the gasses would not build up. They labeled the crates S. H. I. T.  Standing for Ship High In Transit.

Another story for another curse word I wont spell is back in the days of kings, virgins couldnt marry and intercouse out of wedlock was forbidden. It was a set up for the king to get all the action he wanted. Well it turned out to be more than he could handle so he commisioned a fellow to help out. He of course had to have papers to fulfil his duty. His papers were titled, Fornicator Under Commision of the King.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013, 09:54:35 pm »
Actually, the word began spelled as "scyte" pronounced "SHITE".  Chaucer used it in the Canterbury tales in the tale of the Monk.  "And there beside the road I did scyte three great toords."

If you ever feel like impressing people by quoting great old literature, that's a wonderful quote to toss out.

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline johnston

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2013, 10:28:23 pm »
JW you sure know a lot of scyte.

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2013, 10:30:45 pm »
 Gotta love Chaucer!

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2013, 10:31:29 pm »
Not to be a stickler, but what I've heard  was slightly different - they would remove the index and middle fingers.  So the obscene gesture was making a "V" with those two fingers. Not real sure which version is correct.

Offline sleek

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2013, 08:23:32 am »
Cam, I have heard your version as well. I believe one of them if not both is correct. They used to cut the thumb of captured kinds so they couldnt wield a sword, and cut a tendon on the leg of knights horses so they couldnt run. Also the big toe off of ground combatants ( I believe? ) so they couldnt run or have good fighting balance.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Robby101

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2013, 10:50:37 am »
Churchhill's use of the taunt was as much a "V" for victory as it was the traditional, symbolic act of defiance used by his forefathers, and many of ours for that matter.
Robby

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2013, 02:25:09 pm »
Not to be a stickler, but what I've heard  was slightly different - they would remove the index and middle fingers.  So the obscene gesture was making a "V" with those two fingers. Not real sure which version is correct.
heard that too...
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"