Author Topic: hard maple/sugar maple staves?  (Read 2034 times)

Offline wapiti1997

• Joe Lacefield Wildlife and Nature Photography
hard maple/sugar maple staves?
« on: February 14, 2013, 03:40:54 pm »
I found a 12" maple that fell, probably during the hurricane sandy winds in September.  I cut a straight log section and split it. Sealed the ends.  I have not taken the bark off yet.  How should I proceed?

Does this maple make a decent unbacked selfbow?
Should I dry it and possibly cut backing strips from some of it?
Just looking for advice...  is it only firewood?

I have tons of that ole yellow wood drying, probably 50-60 staves

There is a hickory next to the maple twice as big, it went down at the same time.  I was wore plumb out packing what I did cut and split up to the truck.  I could get another nice section from the maple, but is it worth messing with?

Offline TacticalFate

Re: hard maple/sugar maple staves?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 04:31:26 pm »
yup, sugar maple I've heard makes a fine selfbow. I guess if it simply fell over the wood'll still be fine after a few months, it fell during the winter so the tree was "hibernating", and probably didn't realize it was dead until you cut it  >:D. Cut some Black Locust last month that had been pushed over by Sandy and the sapwood was in as good condition as if they had still been standing.

Whitewoods will rot quickly if they are cut and left outside, so if you want to get more maple you'd better do it now. If it were me I'd split it, debark it, seal the ends, and let it dry. You could cut backing strips too I suppose, it's your wood.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 04:37:33 pm by TacticalFate »

Offline wapiti1997

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 04:40:26 pm »
Should I seal the backs after debarking?

Offline TacticalFate

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 04:49:57 pm »
I guess you can for added insurance, only maple I've worked was a Norway Maple sapling that checked pretty badly on the ends, past where I had sealed them, but I don't know how SM will react, they don't grow where I live.

I'd say do it just in case

Offline PatM

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 04:58:17 pm »
No need to seal it if you reduce it to reasonable dimensions. Maple is a very stable wood. You can dry it quickly and safely. it makes a great bow.

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 08:17:06 pm »
I love maple.
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline wapiti1997

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 08:23:48 pm »
It appears to be in great shape, bark still tight and no discoloration anywhere.  I got 10 staves from the one log.