Author Topic: Black locust down, the kinda stuff I'd take to a get together! (sawn pics added)  (Read 5456 times)

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
So I'm looking to get more involved with other bowyers, having remained shy and secluded from my senior bowyers up till recently, and my most recent BL tree looks like the stuff y'all might like  ;D

Some decent rings for just under the sapwood; this stuff was hell on my axe and hands!

This section is about ten feet long

And this twelve

I wonder how many bows I can get from just that  ??? ?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 09:58:55 pm by huisme »
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline toomanyknots

Re: Black locust down, looks like the kinda stuff I'd take to a get together!
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 08:39:36 pm »
Don't know, looks good though. That was a good bit of chopping right there.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 08:39:56 pm »
damn, youll get plenty of bows out of that

Offline twisted hickory

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 09:49:44 pm »
Cut w hand ax :o You will get plenty of staves outta that one. Good haul!

Offline huisme

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 02:00:21 am »

Yep, and you bet my hands were numb by the time I got through it. More dense than any of the other trees I've cut, but it's older too so that might have something to do with it. Maybe. Don't really know  ???

I tell people I fall them with an axe so I do it partially to keep my word, partially because I just like it better than the seconds it would have taken with a chainsaw.
50#@26"

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013, 02:49:37 am »
Like your philosophy on making things worth while.That's good log made of the right stuff.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

mikekeswick

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2013, 02:49:44 am »
It will toughen your hands up anyway!
I'll very much like to trade some of those staves. Only problem is i'm in England but if you want to work something out...i'll make you a blinding bow for some of them  :)

Offline huisme

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2013, 04:18:35 am »
I swear using the black locust around my place is like cheating. One of the neighboring trees yielded this piece of reflexed straightness right from the get-go.

I'd be happy to make a trade, but I'm not sure what the postage for a few of these currently very heavy staves is. It'd certainly be worth a bit to finally have a bow built by someone other than me, but I am poor among bowyers for now  :-[
50#@26"

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2013, 07:04:51 am »
Good looking tree,should get a lot of staves/bows from that. Wished I had your drive,I'll stick to the chain saw. ;) :) :) :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

blackhawk

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2013, 07:36:41 am »
Someone needs to teach ya how to notch n directional felling....that way ya won't get that one section splitting off and wasting a stave or two there...plus your tree will fall where you want/need it too....I see lots of videos of dumb people cutting a tree without notching and directional felling near there possessions like cars n houses,and they take no consideration of the heavier side of the tree and don't notch and directional fell and watch the tree smash there truck or house....be careful if your cutting trees like that...

Offline huisme

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2013, 02:09:53 pm »
Someone needs to teach ya how to notch n directional felling....that way ya won't get that one section splitting off and wasting a stave or two there...plus your tree will fall where you want/need it too....I see lots of videos of dumb people cutting a tree without notching and directional felling near there possessions like cars n houses,and they take no consideration of the heavier side of the tree and don't notch and directional fell and watch the tree smash there truck or house....be careful if your cutting trees like that...

I actually worked quite a bit at that. It was leaning over the garage. Got the tree leaning away from the garage and it looked like it was pretty well past the post you see in the photos, and I just let it fall there.

You're right, I see it a lot, but falling trees has been my job in the family for a while ;)

Relevant story though, a big Elm in a driveway I was looking at for staves forked about twenty feet in the air, but had survived eighty plus miles an hour winds, so nobody thought it was dangerous. I'm outside while the sun is going down working on my first car when it starts raining again, so I go inside, and not ten seconds later the earth shakes and I hear the sound of crunching metal.

The rain must have finally soaked the moss enough to pull the branch, which I found out was rotten to the core, from the tree and right on top of my '80 Chevette. About four tons of wood sat on one and a half tons of car, and my heart sank like a rock  :'(

If I'd inspected the tree before parking under it I'd still have four on the floor and thirty miles to the gallon. I learned my lesson  ::)
50#@26"

Offline Knapper

• David Atnip
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2013, 04:32:30 pm »
I'll take mine with a chainsaw, please O:)
Knapper
Ad Dare Servire
PM104250

Offline twisted hickory

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2013, 05:23:36 pm »

Yep, and you bet my hands were numb by the time I got through it. More dense than any of the other trees I've cut, but it's older too so that might have something to do with it. Maybe. Don't really know  ???

I tell people I fall them with an axe so I do it partially to keep my word, partially because I just like it better than the seconds it would have taken with a chainsaw.
I get you there. I use a saw due to 18 years of hard labor....horse shoeing and carpentry.
That tree looks like it will have a few straight ones and some character staves in it as well.

Offline huisme

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2013, 06:46:54 pm »
I've only been doing this since I was twelve, about nine years. I don't wear out easily yet  :P
50#@26"

Offline fulltiller

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2013, 07:44:54 pm »
Well I might as well post here since I don't have much for wood options out here in Floodville... er I mean Colorado. 

I would love to know what makes a good Black Locust bow stave candidate and what doesn't.  So far I have two successful bows out of probably 15 boards and others... and I thought maybe using a stave might yeild more successes.   So... using huisme's pictures as a guide... what should we look for in a good one versus say a bad one?

Thanks!  (Sorry if this is looked at like a hijack attempt... I don't intend to do that at all... justt seemed as good a time as any.)