Author Topic: Gator Gumbo  (Read 1427 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Gator Gumbo
« on: September 12, 2013, 08:09:26 am »
Question for you far south guys our anyone else that knows, What all goes in Gator gumbo,other than Gator ??? ;) We are having the Bash,[big party]an event that we always have at the closing of the year at TwinOaks just before Deer season starts.  It is Saturday evening after our shoot and since I just happen to have some gator  ;) ;D ;D I thought I would make some Gumbo for my contribution to the meal. Just don't know what is supposed to go in it. When I cook I usually just wing it, ??? but I would like for this the be somewhere close to right. :o  Any recipes would be appreciated. :) :)
Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Josh B

Re: Gator Gumbo
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 11:17:11 am »
That sounds good!  I don't have any recipes as I just wing it as well.  I can tell you that the key to making gumbo is roux.  Roux is your soup base that gives gumbo the distinctive flavor that only gumbo has.  If you have the time, you can make your own roux by melting two sticks of butter in a saucepan and adding a couple cups of flour.  You then stir it up and slowly cook it on med-low heat while continually stirring.  What your trying to do is Brown the flour/butter mixture until its a nice caramel color.  The darker you get it, the stronger the flavor.  This will take hrs of continuous stirring because if you scorch it, its ruined.  When I make gumbo, I use a cup of this traditional type roux to flavor a gallon of gumbo.  You can freeze any roux base not used.This is the hard way to do it.  The easy way is to go to the grocery store and buy the dry roux in the seasoning section and follow the directions on the can.  Lol!  Truth be told, you would be hard pressed to tell the difference in flavor or at least I am.  As far the rest of the ingredients, its kinda like the classic boil, if it ain't nailed down, it goes in the pot.  I wish that I could be more help.  Josh

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 11:37:32 am »
Wish I could help ya with the flavorings there Pappy but I'm north of the mason/dixon line here.How about deep fat frying in peanut oil with a flavorful batter.To me that's just flour,salt,and pepper.......LOL.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Parnell

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 12:22:07 pm »
Hi Pappy.  I've done gumbo several times and I'm sure you all can pull it off.  IMO Gun Doc is right on the roux part of it.  I did it myself for the first time a few years back, just following the recipe and it turned out brilliant, just can't walk away from the roux when it's being made.  I've got a good recipe at home and I'll look to scan the book and send you the recipe later this evening when I get home.  From there...it'll be a substitute with crawdads for the gator I'd figure.  Still probably want to go with sauge and such...

Or are there other opinions?  Haven't done gator gumbo specific.

I like Okre in my gumbo.
1’—>1’

Offline Josh B

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 01:20:02 pm »
Oh yeah!  Okra is one of my staple ingredients.  Green onion, garlic, sausage and peppers as well.  You have to be picky about the peppers though.  Flavorful peppers like chipotles, poblanos, Anaheims, well any chili peppers will overpower the flavor of the roux and give it a southwestern flavor.  Sweet bells are good if you don't want it spicy.  I like spicy so I use cayenne and Thai peppers.  I know a few folks that can make roux in about half an hour by cooking it on higher heat, but every time I've tried that I scorched it.  I'm sure there's as many ways to make roux as there are recipes for gumbo.  I have every confidence that your gator gumbo will be top shelf Pappy!  Josh

Offline Parnell

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 01:58:33 pm »
Yeah Josh, when I do my roux it's probably about 30 minutes.  I like plain 'ole bell peppers in there but I do love some heat.  I just like to be able to add it in afterwards as most people don't like the heat level I'm at.
1’—>1’

Offline seabass

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 06:54:07 pm »
hey Mark,this is my recipe for gumbo.you can trade the shrimp for gator.it is a little long winded.
3/4 C plus 1 Tbsp. all purpose flour
1/2 C vegetable oil
1 onion chopped fine
1 bell pepper chopped
1 stalk celery chopped fine
5 garlic cloves minced
1/4 tsp thyme
1/4 tsp cayenne
1 can diced tomatoes
3 3/4 C chicken broth
1/4 C fish sauce
4 chicken thighs
8 oz Andouille sausage
2 C frozen okra
2 lbs shrimp
heat oven to 350, toast 3/4 C flour in dutch oven on the stove over medium heat 5 mins, til just starting to brown stirring constantly, off heat whisk in 1/2 C oil til smooth, cover pot place in oven for 45 mins., transfer back to med heat on stove stir to combine, add onion, bell pepper, and celery cook 10 mins til soft stirring constantly, stir in 1 Tbsp flour, thyme, cayenne, garlic, stir for 1 minute, add can tomatoes, cook 1 min., slowly whisk in chicken broth and fish sauce til smooth, season chicken with pepper add to pot bring to a boil, reduce to simmer and cover for 30 mins., transfer chicken to plate, when cool enough to handle cut or tear chicken into bite size pieces, add back to pot, add sliced sausage and okra cook for about 10 mins, add shrimp cook til shrimp are pink about 10-15 mins.
We eat this over rice but would be equally as good over noodles
Middletown,Ohio

Offline TRACY

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 09:46:06 pm »
Man you all are making me hungry for some gumbo now. I'll have to make a pot of duck gumbo this weekend. I do mine a lot like Josh and agree that the secret is the roux. Keep a couple cold ones near, you won't have time to go to the fridge when making it as you need to stir constantly until it hits the color you desire. Burnt roux sucks :P

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline seabass

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 11:14:49 pm »
follow this recipe guys and you won't be disappointed.your roux sould be the color of an old penny.not to dark and not to light.the roux is the key.if any of you guys try it,let me know how it turns out for you.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2013, 05:40:10 am »
Thanks guys,I copied that Steve,Grand[castiron] came down last night and said he would make it for the bash,just have to watch hi,he likes his stuff HOT. I will give thsi a try in a week or 2 myself. ;) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Parnell

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2013, 10:11:18 am »
I'm liking that recipe a lot Steve.  Fish sauce is some killer stuff, also!  Smells like an old sock but is magic in soup stuff.
An old penny...that's about it.
1’—>1’

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2013, 10:19:52 am »
Thanks Parnell,got yours also.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2013, 07:33:38 pm »
Definatelly , okra, and Anduille's. Maybe some Blue Crab meat, shrimp pieces, good rice and hot pepper. ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline chamookman

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2013, 06:00:10 am »
Man - My belly is REALLY rumbling now !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.