Author Topic: sapwood osage  (Read 1494 times)

Offline ssgtchad

sapwood osage
« on: September 12, 2013, 07:03:47 pm »
I made this for a long time Army buddy. Its osage with a sapwood back. 53" ntn pulling 55 lbs at 26"I think, my scale only goes to 50 lol. The upper limb had a tear out in the belly so I filled it with sinew, then sinewed the back over the damaged section. Stained with leather die and sealed with lots of bee's wax. Its hsd about 300 arrows so far and its still straight! The bow is being held at an angle so the upper looks alot longer than the lower. Thanks for looking
Always learning something new.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: sapwood osage
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 07:15:06 pm »
Nice bend and job on that one.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 07:26:40 pm »
Freakin sweet bow ! Sap wood Osage works pretty good doesn't it ??  It's a definete myth that you have to only use the heartwood Same goes with mulberry the sap wood works good
I like osage

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 07:52:02 pm »
Your pics are teeny weeny man! From what I can see it looks pretty dang cool SSGT.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline adb

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 07:57:42 pm »
Hard to tell from the small pics, but it sure looks good. Zero set, nice brace profile, and good tiller. Well done.

Offline ssgtchad

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 08:16:25 pm »
Yeah they are a bit small ill post new ones later. Thanks for tbe compliments y'all it was a fun little bow to work on. And shoots really nice. Its going to be hard to give away lol

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 08:36:24 pm »
Freakin sweet bow ! Sap wood Osage works pretty good doesn't it ??  It's a definete myth that you have to only use the heartwood Same goes with mulberry the sap wood works good

+10,000  ;D Yes, the sapwood is very strong, I've made warbows with lots of violated sapwood, and they were just fine and dandy. And took very little set, if any. Although, I think another myth is that mulberry is just like osage, as long as you make it wider. At least my mulberry I got here around me,  ;D. Very nice bow, great tiller.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline sleek

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2013, 05:38:26 am »
TMK, you ( and everybody else who observes this ) are right about sap wood on osage. I just got done making an osage cream sickle bow that is getting the tru oil treatment right now. Every stave I have got from you has made a fantastic sap wood backed bow. Sap wood is awesome on osage. And I like that bow you made there, what is sap wood to heart wood ratio?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2013, 06:59:41 am »
Good looking bow,very nice work,Good tiller,should be snappy. :) Yep sap wood will work, Lots here have proved that is a big way, But guess I am just old school,unless I just don't have enough heart wood to make a bow I'll just keep removing the sap wood and chasing a heart wood ring. ;) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline ssgtchad

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2013, 10:10:59 am »
TMK, you ( and everybody else who observes this ) are right about sap wood on osage. I just got done making an osage cream sickle bow that is getting the tru oil treatment right now. Every stave I have got from you has made a fantastic sap wood backed bow. Sap wood is awesome on osage. And I like that bow you made there, what is sap wood to heart wood ratio?
Im not real sure. The stave was from a sapling that was maybe 2.5 to 3"in diameter. I rounded the belly to keep as much of the yellow as I could. Its probably close to 75% sapwood. I had intended to keep the belly its natural color, but the stain ran over the edge and blew that plan to hell lol It sure was pretty before I ugly it up. :-\