Author Topic: Mahoghany flatbow.  (Read 2236 times)

Offline BowSlayer

Mahoghany flatbow.
« on: September 12, 2013, 07:48:33 am »
hey all here is the mahoghany flatbow i finnished a few months ago. i know ive already posted this as a video but i thought pics would be bettter. the bow is made from a board of mahoghany with a walnut risor. it does have a...FG tape backing. as that was all i had at the time. in the F/D pic the tillering stick is tillted to the right slightly and at brace the right limb has 1" possitive tiller. it also has some nice walnut tip overlays,

wood/s: mahoghany and walnut
Draw weight: 50#
Draw length: 27"
backing: f****glass

thanks for looking.
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline BowSlayer

Re: Mahoghany flatbow.
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 08:26:34 am »
looking at the tiller do you think that i should remove some wood around the fade area on the left limb? and also the outer left limb?
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline WillS

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 08:32:07 am »
I think it's in need of a bit of refining.  It's a great start, but everything's kinda... clunky.

The tips are huge both in width and depth, and all the edges need a good softening as they're very sharp.  It's a recipe for a splinter lifting with such hard edges.  I'd also take a lot of width off the handle, it looks like you're holding a giant beam of wood rather than a bow.  Hope that makes sense - you've got a great working bow but it needs some finishing to make it as good as it could be.

The left limb could come round a bit I suppose, but reducing all that weight from the tips might pull it nice and circular anyway.

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 08:38:25 am »
cool ill start now. how about the left outer fade?
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 08:44:45 am »
Better get this put on the Campfire forum squirrel nutz. This el' natural only on this section.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline sleek

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 08:51:44 am »
How long is the bow? Also, if that pic shows full dray, I bet you can do without the FG tape. I dont know how much it does to prevent breakage anyway. It probably just helps keep pieces out of your body if it does break. Any chance of a pic of the side of the limbs to get an idea for grain run out? That will help see if that crap on the back is even needed. I can see you are learning on here so keep it up!
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 09:16:27 am »
Working a bit hard in the middle, could ease off the outer limbs.
There are nice backing materials, even an old pair of jeans or ask your Dad if he has any old silk ties!
To make any bow that shoots is a good job!
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 10:44:33 am »
the bow is 62" long and there is a fair bit of grain run out. thanks for the replys.
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline Capt

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 12:44:33 pm »
I'm hardly the most qualified person to comment but both the bows I've seen you post as finished look anything but finished..

Tool marks all over, chunky, bare backing, square edges all over and the tiller is lacking refinement to say the least....

Shaquille o'neil would have a problem getting his hands around that beastly handle on your mahogany bow.... And smoothen up that arrow shelf before you send and arrows through it... Looks like it would tear the fletchings right off.

They look more like roughed out bows maybe 2/3 rd finished at best.....

My advice Show some commitment and see your projects through to the end...

" if a jobs worth doing, it's worth doing right "

Get out the sand paper and rasp and do those bows and yourself justice by 'finishing them'

All criticism aside there is potential for both bows to be great bows I think, your big mistake in my opinion is calling it a finished project when there is so much obvious refinement needed...

Hope you take all the criticism as constructive and it leads you to produce a better FINISHED product..

Bests, look forward to seeing the F.P.
:D

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 12:49:24 pm »
the mahoghany bow is nearly finnished. but i never said my maple character bow was finnished, did i? i belive i said " ill keep it short and post more pics once i have the sanding and finnishing touches done"
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline adb

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 01:22:55 pm »
Lots of good advice given, young man. Take it, or leave it.

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2013, 07:44:06 pm »
fiberglass does nothing in terms of safety tried it once and broke that bow later on to see how well it works and it  snapped real nice and clean.

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2013, 02:58:29 am »
fiberglass does nothing in terms of safety tried it once and broke that bow later on to see how well it works and it  snapped real nice and clean.

I've always thought the same thing.  Don't know how that came to be so popular... too many "expert" you tube videos floating around out there I suspect.  I'm pretty sure that even a paper backing would do more to hold a bow together than that stuff.