Author Topic: experimenting with crossbows.  (Read 2537 times)

Offline BowSlayer

experimenting with crossbows.
« on: September 11, 2013, 12:00:39 pm »
looked around the workshop and found a piece of mahoghany 30" long and 4mm thick that i was saving for a laminated handle but i then thought about a crossbow. i first backed it with a single layer of FG tape and then tillered it to 20"! with a brace hight of 4" i then worked on a "stock" from an old 2x4 and made a trigger system from a cloths peg. and screw.  this was acctually an experiment and i plan on making a better one if my friend decides to give me his broken air rifle so i can use the stock, trigger and maybe scope/sight if not ill find one online or trade or something.

bow wood: mahoghany
stock wood: pine
draw weight: 45#
draw length: 18" can reach 20" 

trigger

this screw is inside the clothes peg. it holds the string loop

theese blocks at the front guide the arrow.

the view from the front. the bow was just screwed into the 2x4

string loop.

the screw in the clothes peg holds the string loop but realeases when the peg is lifted.

F/D pic

this is how the arrow holds in place

loaded arrow

me holding it :)

thanks for looking. let me know what ya think
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

Re: experimenting with crossbows.
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 05:49:56 pm »
well, are you going to shoot it?
your string loop is going to wear impressively fast, and the bow will probably break in the handle because YOU PUT SCREWS THROUGH A BOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
trust me- i tried almost this exact thing. and almost got hurt pretty bad.
looks cool though. get a longer bolt.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 06:36:31 pm »
I won't claim to be the most safety conscious person in the world. But that thing would scare the crap out of me :o.
Steve Bennett

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 09:13:12 pm »
You're going to put your eye out, kid.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline TRACY

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 11:54:15 pm »
Uhhh.... Squirrel, your bolts a little short   :o you might want to rethink firing that thing ???
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 11:55:02 pm »
What Mullet said.  That thing is dangerous.
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline wildman

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 01:10:24 am »
   In a word Darwanism +3 on what Mullet said. GLASSES
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 01:22:15 am »
What the?!? :o Are you serious with that thing? Yikes!

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 05:07:27 am »
the bow seems sound i acctually dry-fired it alot when testing diffrent triggers, the bolt is made from a brocken arrow so i don't really wan't to break another one on pourpouse. this is just an experimental prototype. i am going to hopefully make a safer one soon. i might acctually not fire this thing as it is un safe. oh well
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline sleek

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 06:09:59 am »
Son, if I even see a pic of you holding that damned thing without safety glasses on I will find your house and talk to your dad. Dude, honestly I am concerned for your safety, scared even. I work with a guy with a glass eye. Its fun to tap him on the back of the shoulder on his blind side and pick on him but seriously, you could loose both eyes. Ok, dad moment over on to the cool stuff.

That is neat. Squirrely boy has a point with the string loop wearing out from the screw rubbing it. Better to drill a hole and glue in a wooden dowel. 45# is good for a fun time with that. I think you can save the bow on that thing by removing the screws and filling the holes with wood glue mixed with saw dust. 

Take that bow ( prod ) off and carve into the stock a notch wide as the bow for it to sit into. Then lay over the back of the prod a block of wood that is maybe 9 inches long. This will be what holds the prod in place and cover the holes to keep the prod from blowing up because of the screw holes. Using string, wrap the 9 inch long board to the stock of the cross bow. You may need to provide a spot on the stock to wrap the string too, drill a hole  through behind the prod and glue in a thick dowel. The dowel needs to go into the stock left to right, same as the bow ( left to right ) and stick out either side an inch. Tie the 9 inch board to the dowel to hold the prod in place. This keeps it in place without screws and helps back it where the screws were. Your tiller looks pretty good.

Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 07:55:17 am »
thanks for the advice sleek. ill definitly look into changing the design of this but i might also start over with a small 30" billit i have. i may rescue the bow form this and put it onto something but i think i'd rather focus on real bows insted of theese. 
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline sleek

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2013, 08:04:57 am »
Good idea. Be safe....
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2013, 09:22:11 am »
C'mon guys, there are some issues but we all started by messing with stuff.
I expect the draw weight is V low., so I'm not sure the safety glasses are actually an issue else we'd all be wearing 'em every time we drew a bow.
Every man is his own saftety officer.
Ok the trigger mechanism is nasty, but it's not far away from a workable primitive trigger.
IMO the reall safety issue is the fingers wrapped around the stock. If that does go off the string could rip off your finger nails :o.
I'll post a lever trigger mechanism in a minute or so.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2013, 09:36:11 am »
I saw this trigger mechansim on a primitive Xbow made by a great bloke called Bob at a primitive meet.
Hopefully it's self explanatory. Sort of similar to the mechansim on my primitive Xbow, and sort of related to the the clothes peg contraption!
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2013, 11:05:28 am »
i get the idea, you push the lever and that pushes the string. cool idea.
London, England.

45#@28"