Author Topic: maple character bow.  (Read 1033 times)

Offline BowSlayer

maple character bow.
« on: September 12, 2013, 11:00:19 am »
i know i already posted a bow today but i also finnished tillering this one today. it's made from maple, and has tons of knots and wavy grain. it was very difficult to tiller. ill keep it short and post more pics once i have the sanding and finnishing touches done. one limb was deflexed and the other straight with a hint of reflex. the bow is 63" long i tried stem bending 8 times but nothing. so i just wen't for it. the tiller looks of but it hits hard a quick measure showed 55#@28" which suppised me.

brace picture

F/D picture

thanks, for looking

London, England.

45#@28"

Offline BowSlayer

Re: maple character bow.
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 11:02:07 am »
i posted this in the wrong section! can someone move it to bows?
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline adb

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 11:14:13 am »
Wow. Another interesting display. Sorry, I don't buy 55#. That bow wouldn't hold up at 55#, with such uneven tiller and violated knots on the back. Can you not see what's happening at brace? I'm actually surprised your bow isn't broken already.

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 12:24:33 pm »
55# is what the scale says. and it feels about that compared to my mahoghany flatbow.
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline Parnell

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 02:07:05 pm »
I'm sure they'll move it soon BowSlayer.  ADB does raise a good question about the bow's safety.  Not trying to be a smart@#% at all but just be careful putting that much on the bow with those knots and that tiller.  I lost an eye at 19, wish I could have it back all the time.

Where are you in London?
1’—>1’

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 02:36:26 pm »
I'm sure they'll move it soon BowSlayer.  ADB does raise a good question about the bow's safety.  Not trying to be a smart@#% at all but just be careful putting that much on the bow with those knots and that tiller.  I lost an eye at 19, wish I could have it back all the time.

Where are you in London?

sure there is a chance the bow will break but it seems good for now.

yeah im in london. why?
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline Parnell

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2013, 01:18:47 pm »
Well, I wish you the good luck with it. 
Just curious which area you were from.  My family has a place in Blackheath and every so often I go over.  Just wondering if you were far off.
1’—>1’