Author Topic: need tree ID help  (Read 1277 times)

Offline Mike_H

need tree ID help
« on: September 09, 2013, 10:19:10 pm »
My dad wants to know what this is:

There are long, brown fuzzy things that grow from where the buds fall off. And it apparently propigates by sending up shoots from the roots. If that helps.

Offline lostarrow

Re: need tree ID help
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 10:23:41 pm »
Poplar

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 11:40:13 am »
yep looks like a poplar to me
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline sonny

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 07:13:46 pm »
definitely not the leaf of a poplar tree.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Matt G.

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 08:07:37 pm »
I have a Tulip Poplar on my property and the leaves aren't like that. Some one will be able to identify it for you.
Keeping the Faith!
Matt

Offline TRACY

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 08:28:46 pm »
Lanceleaf cottonwood.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 11:44:33 pm »
The tulip poplar is not a true poplar. It is in the magnolia family I think.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 02:21:04 pm »
I agree with Tracy - Cottonwood of some sort - not being familiar with trees outside of California I can not say with any level of certainty.

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2013, 06:56:45 pm »
Poplar, Cottonwood, Aspen  .............all members of the poplar family  . Looks like Balsam Poplar ( we call it Balm of Gilead  or Bam trees.)  If the buds are sticky and smell real bad ,it's a Bam.  My Mother used to make a salve  from the buds in the spring. Supposed to be a great healer. Smelled so bad that we would rather suffer than put that stuff on. (so I guess it worked. ;)) We also called it gopher wood. If you made a fire from it ,you'd have to gopher another stick in five minutes :D.  Throw a stick or two in your fireplace a couple times a week to keep the chimney clean and reduce the risk of chimney (creosote) fires.  As for bows???????? it can be done , but not exactly first string stuff.